Alabama A&M defeats Grambling State 81-60Mar 7, 2010 - 2:58 AM HUNTSVILLE, Ala.(AP) -- Cornelius Hester scored 18 points and Casey Cantey had 17 as Alabama A&M defeated Grambling State 81-60 on Saturday night.
The Bulldogs (11-15, 8-10 Southwestern Athletic Conference) earned the sixth seed in the conference tournament, which starts March 10 in Shreveport, La.
The Tigers (6-20, 4-14), despite losing, already had clinched the eighth and final berth earlier in the day when Southern lost to Texas Southern.
After Grambling led 23-21 with 6:43 left in the first half, Alabama A&M closed it with a 20-4 run for a 41-27 lead. Cantey scored 15 of his points in the first half.
The Bulldogs shot 45.5 percent (25-for-55) to Grambling's 33.3 percent (20-for-60), and were 6-for-13 on 3-pointers to the Tigers' 4-for-20. The Bulldogs also held a 44-35 rebounding edge.
Kevin Loyd, with 10 points, was the only Grambling scorer in double figures.
- NCAA BB
ALABAMA A&M 81 FINAL
Mar 6 9:23 PM
- NCAA BB
ALABAMA A&M 41 HALFTIME
Mar 6 8:18 PM
- TCU thumps Grambling State Dec 23
- Washington routs Grambling State Dec 18
- Tigers face tall task in clash with 16th-ranked Huskies Dec 17
- Marquette beats Grambling State 114-71 Nov 13
- No. 17 Marquette entertains Grambling State Nov 12
- New Mexico opens with easy win over Alabama A&M Nov 10
- Lobos open season against visiting Bulldogs Nov 9
- Price is right at Grambling May 8
- No. 20 Michigan routs Alabama A&M Dec 17
- Alabama A&M pays visit to No. 20 Michigan Dec 17
- Crimson Tide stay perfect, down Bulldogs Nov 24
- Tide expected to roll in clash with visiting Bulldogs Nov 23