Vermont defeats Hartford 74-56, wins 6th straightFeb 18, 2010 - 2:45 AM HARTFORD, Conn.(AP) -- Marqus Blakely scored 16 points and grabbed 18 rebounds to help Vermont defeat Hartford 74-56 on Wednesday night, for its sixth straight win.
Maurice Joseph added 22 points for the Catamounts (20-8, 11-3 America East Conference).
Vermont outscored the Hawks 13-0 on second-chance points in the first half, building a 39-22 lead at halftime.
The Catamounts shot 54.5 percent from the field in the second half (12 of 22), going 4-for-8 from 3-point range.
The Hawks (7-19, 5-8) pulled within 60-50 on Joe Zeglinski's jumper with 5:59 left. But Vermont pulled away with a 10-2 run and led 70-52 on Nick Vier's layup with 3:25 to go.
Garvey Young added 13 points for Vermont and Evan Fjeld had 10.
Morgan Sabia had 17 points, Zeglinski scored 12 and Milton Burton added 11 for the Hawks, who lost their third straight.
- NCAA BB
HARTFORD 56 FINAL
Feb 17 9:05 PM
- NCAA BB
HARTFORD 22 HALFTIME
Feb 17 8:03 PM
- Vermont basketball player suspended for reselling textbooks Dec 24
- No. 14 Notre Dame dismantles Hartford Dec 31
- Hartford seeks upset of No. 14 Notre Dame Dec 30
- Duke survives with late win over Vermont Nov 24
- Vermont comes calling on No. 6 Duke Nov 24
- Louisville cruises past Hartford Nov 19
- Cardinals go in search of 20th straight win Nov 19
- Hartford's Gallagher gets four-year extension Sep 18
- Iati lifts Albany over Vermont in America East title game Mar 16
- Albany takes on Vermont in America East title tilt Mar 16
- Napier, UConn top Vermont Nov 13
- Vermont seeks upset of No. 23 UConn Nov 13