Smyth has 14 points in Iona winNov 29, 2009 - 5:10 PM ORLANDO, Fla.(AP) -- Kyle Smyth scored 14 points to lead Iona past Creighton 63-55 on Sunday.
Alejo Rodriguez had a slam and a layup during a 10-1 run that put Iona up 57-48 with four minutes remaining. Iona (4-2) also got 10 points from Mike McFadden and Scott Machado.
Kenny Lawson Jr. had 18 points for Creighton, which has opened the season by losing four of six for the first time since 1993-94.
Smyth had nine points, coming on three 3s, to help Iona take a 33-30 lead at intermission. The Gaels trailed 21-13 with seven minutes left in the first half.
Creighton forward Justin Carter left with 10:20 left after he appeared to hurt his left leg. The senior, who missed the first three games this season due to a left knee injury, later sat on the bench with an ice pack on the knee area.
- NCAA BB
IONA 63 FINAL
Nov 29 12:03 PM
- NCAA BB
IONA 33 HALFTIME
Nov 29 10:48 AM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9