Eastern Kentucky defeats Winthrop 77-57Feb 21, 2010 - 2:22 AM RICHMOND, Ky.(AP) -- Josh Taylor scored 20 points and Eastern Kentucky defeated Winthrop 77-57 on Saturday night.
The Colonels (19-10) shot 45.8 percent from 3-point range (11 of 24), including a 5-for-8 effort from Taylor.
Eastern Kentucky shot 60.9 percent from the field (28 of 46) and scored 18 points off 14 turnovers, snapping a two-game losing streak.
The Colonels led 36-30 at halftime and otuscored the Eagles 18-7 to open the second half. Taylor's 3-pointer put Eastern Kentucky ahead 54-37 with 13:11 left.
The Colonels, who never trailed, jumped out to a 12-2 lead, including back to back 3's by Taylor, who capped the run with 17:12 left in the first half.
Justin Stommes scored 15 points and Papa Oppong and Dayvon Ellis added 14 each for Eastern Kentucky.
Matt Morgan scored 18 points and Reggie Middleton added 10 for Winthrop (15-11), which snapped a 7-game winning streak.
- NCAA BB
EASTRN KENTUCKY 77 FINAL
Feb 20 8:44 PM
- NCAA BB
EASTRN KENTUCKY 36 HALFTIME
Feb 20 7:43 PM
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- No. 18 Miami falls at home to Eastern Kentucky Dec 19
- Colonels seek upset of 18th-ranked Hurricanes Dec 19
- Towns, Kentucky rout EKU Dec 8
- Top-ranked Wildcats play host to Colonels Dec 7
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Eastern Kentucky extends Neubauer's contract May 5
- Kansas advances with win over EKU Mar 21
- Colonels face tall task in showdown with Jayhawks Mar 21