No. 5 Kansas State handles Division II foeNov 30, 2010 - 3:32 AM Manhattan, KS (Sports Network) - Jacob Pullen scored 26 points and No. 5 Kansas State had little trouble with Division II Emporia State, building a 19- point halftime lead on the way to a 85-61 victory.
Freddy Asprilla and Rodney McGruder added 17 points apiece in the lopsided victory for Kansas State (6-1).
Emporia State (3-3) got 18 points from Xavier Burnette and 15 from Jordan Stout.
Pullen scored 20 of his 26 points in the first half, Asprilla had 10 and Kansas State shot 54 percent on the way to its 46-27 lead at the break.
The Wildcats were 6-for-11 on three-pointers in the half -- Pullen made four of the five he attempted -- but they also defended Emporia State well at the other end, creating nine turnovers.
They forced 12 turnovers in the second half and Emporia State was never closer than 16 points. Kansas State led by as many as 35 on the way to the easy win.
The Hornets made a leap in competition to play the fifth-ranked Wildcats, for sure, but the in-state matchup does have a long history. The teams have played a total of 20 games, with Kansas State winning 12.
However, Monday's game at Bramlage Coliseum marked just their third meeting in the last 60 years.
Kansas State's only loss this season was to No. 1 Duke last week...The Wildcats set a school record for wins in November with six.
- EMPORIA STATE: 61
KANSAS STATE: 85
Nov 29 10:05 PM
- EMPORIA STATE: 27
KANSAS STATE: 46
Nov 29 9:00 PM
- EMPORIA STATE: 0
KANSAS STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 29 8:11 PM
- Kansas State freshman Freeman transferring to Florida juco Apr 12
- New-look Wildcats have same lofty expectations this season Oct 28
- Kansas State at a glance Oct 28
- K-State's Foster dismissed from basketball program Mar 24
- Iwundu, Kansas State upset No. 12 Iowa State Mar 1
- Wildcats play host to 12th-ranked Cyclones Feb 28
- K-State AD offers apology after court storming Feb 24
- K-State topples No. 8 Kansas Feb 24
- Sunflower State showdown pits Jayhawks against Wildcats Feb 23
- Baylor pulls away from Kansas State Feb 21
- Kansas State comes calling on No. 20 Baylor Feb 21
- K-State tops OU to snap 5-game losing skid Feb 15