No. 3 Ohio State routs Jackson StateNov 19, 2011 - 5:49 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Jared Sullinger scored 16 of his 20 points in a dominating first half, carrying the No. 3 Ohio State Buckeyes to an easy 85-41 drubbing of the Jackson State Tigers.
Sullinger also pulled down 11 rebounds, while Deshaun Thomas, William Buford and Jordan Sibert each netted 11 points for Ohio State (3-0), which was coming off an 81-74 victory over nationally-ranked Florida on Tuesday.
"I don't think this team is anywhere near as good as they can be. We have a long way to go," Ohio State head coach Thad Matta said. "I don't think our defense will ever be exactly where I want it, but I think were making strides in the right direction."
Kelsey Howard dropped in 17 points to lead Jackson State (0-4), which has lost its four games by a combined 134 points.
Jackson State actually led, 11-10, following Kelsey Howard's three-point play six minutes in, but the Buckeyes rattled off the next 18 points to seize control.
Sullinger tipped in a Thomas miss to start the momentum swing, and the preseason All-American totaled nine points in the five-minute surge, ending it with a layup.
Dunks by Sullinger and Lenzelle Smith Jr. late in the half capped 10 straight Ohio State points for a 42-15 cushion, and Sullinger's slam in the final minute made it a 46-17 game.
Sullinger didn't make a field goal in the second half, but didn't have to. A 13-0 run early on, punctuated by a Buford layup, pushed the margin to 59-19 less than five minutes in, and the Tigers simply had no answer.
"They seemed to get to every loose ball. They have strong hands. We would go for layups tonight and they would just take the ball away," Jackson State head coach Tevester Anderson said about the Buckeyes. "They are a solid team."
Ohio State has won 25 straight at home...Sullinger has 19 career double- doubles...Ohio State won the rebounding battle, 48-27, and scored 32 more points in the paint...The Buckeyes forced 26 turnovers.
- JACKSON STATE: 41
OHIO STATE: 85
Nov 18 10:51 PM
- JACKSON STATE: 17
OHIO STATE: 46
Nov 18 9:51 PM
- JACKSON STATE: 0
OHIO STATE: 2
1st Half - 19:30
Nov 18 9:07 PM
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Ohio State, Nike agree on $252M sponsorship extension Jan 15
- Saint Bonaventure beats Ohio 81-68 Dec 5
- Ohio State Preview Capsule Oct 27
- 'Lots of unknowns' for Ohio State team full of young players Oct 27
- Ohio State's Russell says he's going pro Apr 22
- McConnell guides Arizona past Russell, Ohio State Mar 21
- Ohio State and Arizona square off in West Regional action Mar 21
- Russell leads Buckeyes over VCU Mar 19
- Rams butt heads with Buckeyes in West Region Mar 19
- Kaminsky, Wisconsin crush Ohio State Mar 9