Kentucky cruises past Lamar in primer for battle with LouisvilleDec 29, 2011 - 5:03 AM
Darius Miller and Marquis Teague both added 15 points for the Wildcats (12-1), who have won four in a row. Doron Lamb added 12 points, while Anthony Davis finished with 10 points, 13 rebounds and six blocks.
Mike James poured in a game-high 29 points in defeat, while Anthony Miles had 11 for the Cardinals (8-5), losers of two straight.
"We couldn't have played any harder," said Lamar coach Pat Knight. "This is just going to help us in conference. I thought we gave them everything we could."
Wednesday ended a brutal two-game stretch for Lamar, which fell to No. 2 Ohio State, 70-50, on December 20 before departing for a holiday break.
Kentucky was also returning from a period of inactivity, as they hadn't taken the court since last Thursday's victory over Loyola-Maryland. Despite the break, the Wildcats opened strong, using an 11-2 run to grab a decisive early advantage.
They were up 44-28 at the break and the advantage reached 26 late in the second half. For the game, they shot 49.1 percent from the field, including a 7-of-14 effort from beyond the arc.
In all, Wednesday's tilt proved little more than a primer for Saturday's matchup with No. 4 Louisville.
Kentucky will put its nation-leading 43-game home win streak on the line New Year's Eve against a Cardinals squad which suffered its first loss of the season on Wednesday, falling 71-68 to No. 12 Georgetown.
"They shoot the ball. They play extremely -- they are a good team. It's going to be a hard game for us to win here," said Wildcats coach John Calipari.
This was the third all-time meeting between the teams. Kentucky has won all three games...Wildcats sophomore Terrence Jones returned after missing the previous two games with a dislocated pinky. He notched nine points and six boards in 27 minutes.
- LAMAR: 64
Dec 28 10:31 PM
- LAMAR: 28
Dec 28 9:25 PM
- LAMAR: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 28 8:37 PM
- Kentucky reserve G/F Charles Matthews requests transfer May 18
- Calipari plans to coach Kentucky 'the rest of my career' May 16
- Calipari: Defense, size will be Kentucky's initial strengths May 11
- Kentucky's Skal Labissiere announces plan to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Kentucky guard Jamal Murray says he will enter NBA draft Apr 1
- Calipari: All eligible Kentucky players to enter NBA draft Mar 23
- Kentucky's up-and-down season ends with early tourney exit Mar 20
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky falters, loses to Indiana 73-67 Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18
- Kentucky routs Stony Brook 85-57, gets Indiana next Mar 18
- No. 4 seed Kentucky opens NCAA Tournament vs. Stony Brook Mar 17