No.10 Pitt routs AlbanyNov 12, 2011 - 6:21 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Travon Woodall scored a career-high 25 points, dished out 10 assists and pulled down six rebounds as the tenth-ranked Pittsburgh Panthers routed the Albany Great Danes, 89-56, in the season opener for both teams.
Ashton Gibbs, Pittsburgh's leading scorer last season, had 21 points and seven assists for the Panthers (1-0), who are trying to rebound after failing to reach the Sweet 16 for the second consecutive year.
"Tray played very well and Ashton played very well. We talked to Tray about his rebounding and he had six rebounds. That was really the most encouraging thing," Pittsburgh head coach Jamie Dixon said.
The Panthers finished 28-6 last season and claimed their sixth Big East regular season title in school history.
But Pittsburgh failed to meet expectations as the top-seeded Panthers were upset by the eight-seeded Butler Bulldogs, 71-70, in the second round of the 2011 NCAA Tournament.
Nasir Robinson and John Johnson chipped in eight points, and Dante Taylor had seven points and eight rebounds in the victory.
Gerardo Suero was 9-of-16 from the charity stripe and led all Albany scorers with 17.
Logan Aronhalt added 13 points for the Great Danes (0-1), who posted a 9-7 mark in the America East last season.
"We thought the second scorer would be Lamar Patterson, however tonight it was Tray Woodall," Albany head coach Will Brown said. "We got their offense going early with some defensive break downs and they got confident and stepped up and made some shots."
Gibbs led all first-half scorers with 15 as the Panthers took a commanding 47-26 advantage at the break.
Pittsburgh shot 54 percent from the field, hit 13-of-22 from three and outrebounded Albany, 35-23.
The Great Danes converted just 3-of-17 from beyond the arc.
Pittsburgh won its only previous meeting with Albany in 2003, 83-54...The Panthers have won four Big East regular season titles since 2000...Pittsburgh plays its second game of a four-game homestand to open the season on Sunday against the Rider Broncs.
- ALBANY: 56
Nov 11 8:53 PM
- ALBANY: 26
Nov 11 7:51 PM
- ALBANY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 11 7:04 PM
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27
- Struggling Pittsburgh searching for consistency Feb 19
- Stetson routs Albany State (Ga) 95-69 Dec 16
- Young, Jeter lead Pitt past St. Joseph's (Ind), 84-43 Nov 17
- Buffalo rolls over Div. III Pitt-Bradford 109-49 Nov 14
- Pitt faces stiff test in opener against No. 9 Gonzaga Nov 12
- Pittsburgh Preview Capsule Oct 26