Crowder leads No. 11 Marquette past Green BayDec 11, 2011 - 5:50 AM Marquette ran past Green Bay, 79-61, at the Bradley Center.
Davante Gardner and Vander Blue each scored 14, while Todd Mayo and Darius Johnson-Odom both had 10 points for the Golden Eagles (9-0), who shot nearly 58 percent from the field in the second half.
"We need Van to have more of a presence on the glass on both ends of the floor," Marquette coach Buzz Williams said. "If we could get six or eight points on putbacks that really helps from a possession standpoint."
Crowder's 3-pointer with less than seven seconds left in regulation allowed the Golden Eagles to escape with a 79-77 victory over Washington Tuesday night in the Jimmy V Classic. On Saturday, the senior forward knocked down four long-distance shots and led the Golden Eagles to their first 9-0 start since the 2004-05 season. That's when Marquette made a National Invitation Tournament appearance under Tom Crean.
Alec Brown had 22 points, 14 rebounds and five blocks to pace Green Bay (4-7), which fell to 2-9 all-time against Marquette.
Marquette forced 25 turnovers, leading to 34 points.
"We turned the ball over, that's the story of the game," Phoenix coach Brian Wardle said. "If we had just taken better care of the ball a little bit more, good things may have happened for us."
The Golden Eagles scored the game's first eight points, capped by a tip-in from Gardner. Blue's layup provided a 15-4 advantage 6:43 into the game.
The margin stayed around 10 for most of the half, and Marquette went into the break holding a 32-23 cushion.
The hosts began the second half with a dominating 12-2 burst, finished by Blue's dunk. Marquette was ahead by double-digits the rest of the night.
The Golden Eagles held a 32-8 advantage in fast-break points...Marquette center Chris Otule, out indefinitely with an injured ACL, was not in the starting lineup for the first time this season after having made 33 consecutive starts.
- WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY: 61
Dec 10 11:02 PM
- WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY: 23
Dec 10 9:55 PM
- WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 10 9:07 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Texas A&M aims for respect in first NCAA tourney since 2011 Mar 17
- Green Bay announcer says game ejection was misunderstanding Mar 9
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Green Bay pulls away from Morehead State in 2nd half, 78-72 Dec 28
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11