No.21 Marquette routs Norfolk StateNov 15, 2011 - 3:53 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Jae Crowder scored 25 points and pulled down nine rebounds as the 21st-ranked Marquette Golden Eagles routed the Norfolk State Spartans, 99-68, as part of the Paradise Jam.
Darius Johnson-Odom added 24 points and six assists, while Vander Blue chipped in 14 points for Marquette (2-0), which forced 25 Norfolk State turnovers.
"Just being in the right position and playing great team defense overall is helping us create a lot of turnovers," Crowder said.
Chris McEachin paced the Spartans (0-1) with 19 points.
Crowder led the way with 12 first-half points as Marquette jumped on the Spartans early and led by as many as 14 before taking a 40-29 advantage at the break.
Aided by a 15-3 run, the Spartans cut Marquette's advantage to 74-62 after McEachin made a three-pointer with 7:06 left, but the Golden Eagles put their foot back on the pedal and responded with 19 unanswered points to win going away.
Marquette shot 53.2 percent from the field and hit 24-of-30 attempts from the foul line.
Norfolk State never led in the contest.
Marcos Tamares scored 17 points for Norfolk State...It was the first ever meeting between the two schools.
- NORFOLK STATE: 68
Nov 14 9:17 PM
- NORFOLK STATE: 29
Nov 14 8:02 PM
- NORFOLK STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 14 7:09 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11
- Wojo readies Ellenson, touted Marquette freshmen for opener Nov 11
- Oh Henry: Ellenson highlights Marquette's big freshman class Nov 3
- Talented freshmen infused into preseason mix at Marquette Oct 12