No. 25 Texas A&M takes down Stephen F. AustinDec 4, 2011 - 8:18 AM College Station, TX (Sports Network) - Elston Turner poured in 17 points as No. 25 Texas A&M downed Stephen F. Austin, 55-42, at Reed Arena.
Ray Turner posted 12 points and David Loubeau chimed in with 11 and eight rebounds for the Aggies (6-1), who won their fourth straight.
"I was pleased with today's effort on both ends of the floor. I think we got better against a fairly good team," Aggies head coach Billy Kennedy said.
Jereal Scott scored 12 points and Antonio Bostic added 10 for the Lumberjacks (3-3), who had a two-game win streak halted.
Turner's trey just after the midway point of the second half staked the hosts to a 42-23 margin, capping a 12-4 burst, but the Lumberjacks finally awoke.
Scott's three-point play began a late surge for the visitors, who finally saw their deficit whittled down to 10 on a Hal Bateman free throw for a 50-40 game with 4:26 on the clock.
But poor shooting plagued both sides until Turner connected from long distance just over two minutes later to mute any chance of a comeback.
"I'm not very happy with the way we played," Stephen F. Austin head coach Danny Kaspar said. "We didn't play to our full potential out there."
Texas A&M jumped out to an early 14-4 advantage, and upped the lead to 22-8 after a Loubeau three-point play. The Aggies' lead stood at 26-15 at the break.
Texas A&M has won 18 of the 21 all-time meetings...The Aggies shot 41.7 percent from the floor but the Lumberjacks connected on just 28.8 percent of their shots.
- STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE: 42
TEXAS A&M: 55
Dec 3 9:54 PM
- STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE: 15
TEXAS A&M: 26
Dec 3 9:01 PM
- STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE: 0
TEXAS A&M: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 3 8:10 PM
- No chance for a wild comeback for Aggies in 77-63 loss to OU Mar 25
- Hield, Sooners face former Big 12 foes Aggies in Sweet 16 Mar 24
- House leading the party at Texas A&M into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19
- Texas A&M aims for respect in first NCAA tourney since 2011 Mar 17
- Pressure! West Virginia, Stephen F Austin match frenetic D Mar 17
- Texas A&M announces new 5-year deal for coach Billy Kennedy Mar 12
- Texas A&M rolling toward NCAA tourney after 4-year absence Jan 20
- Washington's Scott Woodward named AD at Texas A&M Jan 8
- Texas A&M athletic director Hyman steps down after 4 years Jan 5