Missouri cruises past MercerNov 15, 2011 - 5:07 AM Columbia, MO (Sports Network) - Phil Pressey scored 22 points and handed out four assists as the Missouri Tigers defeated the Mercer Bears, 81-63, as part of the CBE Classic.
Kim English netted 18 points, Michael Dixon had 14 points and Marcus Denmon chipped in 12 points for the Tigers (2-0), who shot 11-of-22 from beyond the arc.
Jibri Ryan led Mercer (1-1) with 19 points.
With the game tied at four, Missouri used a 13-3 run to jump ahead of the Bears 17-7. Pressey chipped in four and Denmon hit a three-pointer on the run to give the Tigers some breathing room.
The lead stayed at double-digits for the majority of the first half as the Tigers took a 40-24 advantage into the break.
The Bears made it a 63-53 game with 5:31 left after a quick 11-1 run, but English nailed a three-pointer to halt Mercer's momentum and the Tigers coasted the rest of the way.
Missouri recorded 14 steals and forced 20 turnovers.
"I think we're improving. ...We've got to get used to...being up and playing the same defense we would if we were down," Dixon said. "It's just mindset and we're just going to have to get better game by game."
Missouri has won all four games in the series...It's Missouri's fourth appearance in the CBE Classic (2001, 2004 and 2007)...The Tigers have won 60 consecutive non-conference games at home.
- MERCER: 63
Nov 14 10:03 PM
- MERCER: 24
Nov 14 8:54 PM
- MERCER: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 14 8:06 PM
- Missouri players Isabell, Wright decide to transfer Mar 15
- Anderson gets vote of confidence from athletic director Mar 9
- Missouri says F D'Angelo Allen plans to transfer Feb 29
- Missouri dismisses junior guard Wes Clark Feb 16
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy Feb 9
- Banned Missouri booster says he meant no harm Jan 19
- Missouri admits NCAA hoops violations, vacates '13-14 season Jan 14
- Missouri at a glance Oct 29
- Missouri adds new faces, still picked to finish last in SEC Oct 29
- Turnovers cost Missouri in loss to Arkansas Feb 18
- No. 18 Arkansas plays host to Missouri Feb 18
- Kentucky tops Missouri Jan 30