No. 17 Michigan handles TowsonNov 15, 2011 - 6:19 AM Ann Arbor, MI (Sports Network) - Tim Hardaway Jr. netted 15 points to lead No. 17 Michigan to a 64-47 win over the Towson Tigers from Crisler Arena as part of the EA Sports Maui Invitational.
Evan Smotrycz and Trey Burke had 13 points apiece and Zack Novak chipped in with eight points and five rebounds for the Wolverines (2-0).
Robert Nwankwo led Towson with 16 points and 10 rebounds and Deon Jones had 12 points to go with six rebounds for the Tigers (0-2).
Marcus Damas contributed 11 points, six boards and three assists for Towson.
Michigan came out on fire and dominated the first half, using a 21-0 run to begin the game. Towson finally got on the board with 10:34 to go courtesy of a jumper by Erique Gumbs.
The Wolverines stayed in front for the rest of the half, shooting 46 percent from the floor and scoring 17 points off of 12 Towson turnovers to take a 37-16 lead into the break.
In the second half, Michigan continued to build on its outstanding first half, as a pair of free throws by Smortycz gave the Wolverines a 44-18 lead with 16 minutes to play.
Towson shot 52 percent from the floor and 50 percent from downtown in the second half en route to outscoring Michigan in the final 20 minutes, 31-27, preventing a blowout, but the hole they put themselves in early in the game proved to be too large to overcome and Michigan coasted to victory.
"That was a good a start since I've been here," Michigan head coach John Beilein said. "The second half wasn't a beautiful basketball game, but the first was pretty darn good."
Michigan owns a 5-0 lead in the all-time series with Towson...Towson shot 43 percent for the game, while Michigan shot 46 percent...Michigan outrebounded Towson, 32-30, and dominated inside, scoring 38 points in the paint to only 18 for the Tigers.
- TOWSON: 47
Nov 14 10:21 PM
- TOWSON: 16
Nov 14 9:17 PM
- TOWSON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 14 8:34 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16
- Tough finish for injured Michigan seniors LeVert, Albrecht Mar 2
- Michigan's Caris LeVert out for season because of ailing leg Mar 1
- Michigan's LeVert returns from leg injury against Purdue Feb 13
- LeVert sitting out again for Michigan against Maryland Jan 12