No. 19 Creighton beats Indiana State by 26Jan 22, 2012 - 3:59 AM Creighton used a staunch defensive effort and accurate long-distance shooting to earn a 75-49 blowout victory against Indiana State.
McDermott was the only player to score in double figures for the Bluejays (18-2, 8-1 MVC), but they went 11-of-24 from three-point range as a team. Josh Jones, Ethan Wragge and Jahenns Manigat all hit two shots from beyond the arc to help keep Creighton atop the conference standings.
Since losing to Missouri State on December 28, the Bluejays have rattled off eight consecutive Missouri Valley Conference victories.
Indiana State (11-9, 2-7) got 15 points from Dwayne Lathan, but shot under 33 percent and lost its fourth in a row.
"I was pleased with our defense. We took away what we needed to take away," said Creighton head coach Greg McDermott. "Made them take tough shots. They had a hard time scoring around the rim."
Wragge drained both of his three-pointers near the midway point of the first half, hitting on back-to-back possessions to extend the Creighton lead to 18-10.
Then, with nine minutes to go, McDermott drained a jumper to spark a 10-0 run. Manigat had two long-distance makes during the stretch, which made it a 29-15 contest.
The shots gave the Bluejays control, and they never ceded it the rest of the game.
Creighton carried a 42-25 advantage into the break after ending the first half with six consecutive points. Indiana State scored the first four of the second half, but the Bluejays responded with a 13-3 run.
Austin Chatman knocked down a three before McDermott ended the rally with a jumper, making it a 55-32 contest.
The Sycamores never got back in the game, making only seven field goals during the second half.
Creighton held a 39-31 rebounding advantage...The Bluejays had 17 assists and 24 made field goals...Creighton has won 13 straight at home vs. Indiana State, including six straight double-digit victories.
- INDIANA STATE: 49
Jan 21 5:07 PM
- INDIANA STATE: 49
End of Regulation
Jan 21 5:06 PM
- INDIANA STATE: 25
Jan 21 4:05 PM
- INDIANA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 21 3:08 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Indiana State athletic director resigns after 11-year tenure Dec 19
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12
- Arcidiacono, Villanova tops Creighton Mar 3
- Creighton seeks upset of No. 4 Villanova Mar 3
- No. 11 Wichita State downs Indiana State Feb 25
- Sycamores play host to 11th-ranked Shockers Feb 25
- Butler slips past Creighton Feb 17