No. 13 Creighton hits triple digits in rout of Illinois StateFeb 2, 2012 - 5:16 AM Creighton extended its winning streak to 11 games Wednesday with an easy 102-74 win over Illinois State.
Grant Gibbs added 12 points and four other players scored in double digits for the Bluejays (21-2, 11-1 Missouri Valley), who remained undefeated since a loss to Missouri State on December 28.
Tyler Brown scored 21 points to lead Illinois State (14-9, 6-6) and Bryant Allen had 17, but the Redbirds fell for the fourth straight time to the Bluejays, including two losses in the last three weeks.
Creighton, behind MVC scoring leader McDermott, scored at least 100 points for the first time since a 104-81 win over Campbell on November 25.
The Bluejays played their 150th game at CenturyLink Center and earned their fifth double-digit victory during the win streak.
They scored the first seven points of the game and never trailed, opening with a 17-2 overall run in the first five-plus minutes. McDermott, who began the day as the country's third-leading scorer with 23.5 points per game, had seven points during the burst.
"We came out strong," said McDermott, "and we got them to take some tough shots. We were really unselfish tonight and if we continue that, we'll continue to win."
The margin remained in double digits the rest of the way. Creighton's lead was 21 at halftime, 51-30, and reached as high as 29 points three times in the second half.
The Bluejays improved to 128-22 at nine-year-old CenturyLink Center, including a 64-15 mark in MVC games. They shot 56.4 percent while Illinois State shot 45.6 percent.
Illinois State still leads the all-time series, 40-28, but Creighton has won 20 of the last 30 meetings. The Bluejays current four-game winning streak in the series came after they dropped seven of the previous eight.
- ILLINOIS STATE: 74
Feb 1 10:03 PM
- ILLINOIS STATE: 30
Feb 1 8:55 PM
- ILLINOIS STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 1 8:08 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Illinois State staffers among 7 dead in plane crash Apr 7
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12
- Northern Iowa claims Missouri Valley title Mar 8
- Redbirds tangle with Panthers for MVC Tournament title Mar 8
- Good Knight: Illinois St. stuns Wichita in MVC semis Mar 7
- Shockers meet Redbirds in MVC semifinals Mar 7
- Arcidiacono, Villanova tops Creighton Mar 3