Duke barely breaks a sweat in topping FAUNov 16, 2013 - 4:13 AM Duke dropped a big number in its first game since losing to Kansas.
Parker had 21 points and 10 rebounds and the fourth-ranked Blue Devils cruised to a 97-64 win over Florida Atlantic on Friday night after falling to the No. 5 Jayhawks on Tuesday.
Rodney Hood led Duke (2-1) with 28 points and Andre Dawkins scored 17 as the Blue Devils ran their NCAA-best non-conference home winning streak to 103 games.
Pablo Bertone had 17 points and Justin Raffington scored 14 as the Owls (1-2) dropped their second straight game.
Parker landed his first double-double in 28 minutes, shooting 7-for-13 from the field, including 4-of-6 on 3-pointers. He had 27 points and nine rebounds in a much-anticipated showdown with fellow freshman Andrew Wiggins of Kansas.
Hood missed only three of his 11 shots and went 12-for-13 on free throws in 26 minutes.
"I thought our guys responded really well from a very quick turnaround from a tough loss against Kansas," said Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. "We didn't get back here until five in the morning on Wednesday with that late game. ... I thought our guys responded very well. I thought we worked really hard."
Duke hasn't lost at home to a non-ACC opponent since falling to a Mike Jarvis- coached St. John's team on Feb. 26, 2000.
Jarvis is the current coach of Florida Atlantic. He said he scheduled the game against Duke to show his players what a high-powered national program is like.
"Now some people would say that you have to be out of your mind. But I really believe that if I am going to do the best I can by my kids I want them to see the best," said Jarvis. "I want them to see probably the best facility, best college atmosphere there is in the United States of America, which is here in Cameron.
"To play one of the obviously all-time great teams, obviously with the winningest coach, period, and to really see how good the players are at this level so that my players know how much better and how much more work it is going to take for them to just get better."
The Blue Devils started the game on a 15-3 run capped by Parker's 3-pointer and never trailed. They outshot FAU 53.1 percent to 37 percent in the first half for a 52-29 lead and went ahead by as many as 34 in the second half.
Parker is averaging 23.3 points and 8.3 rebounds in his first three college games ... Duke stays home to play UNC-Asheville on Monday ... Florida Atlantic -- which was coming off a loss to St. Francis (N.Y.) on Monday -- is at Boston College on Sunday.
- FLORIDA ATLANTIC: 64
Nov 15 8:53 PM
- FLORIDA ATLANTIC: 29
Nov 15 7:49 PM
- FLORIDA ATLANTIC: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 15 7:04 PM
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio May 9
- Duke's Grayson Allen has hernia surgery Apr 22
- Duke's Jefferson receives medical hardship waiver Apr 22
- Duke freshman guard Derryck Thornton to transfer Apr 10
- Grayson Allen to return to Duke for junior season Apr 6
- Duke's Brandon Ingram declares for NBA Draft after 1 season Apr 4
- Duke: Coach K recovering from knee replacement surgery Apr 3
- Duke ends with longer-than-expected NCAA run, short bench Mar 25
- Duke's title defense ends with 82-68 loss to Oregon Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- It's David vs. Goliath when UNC Wilmington meets Duke Mar 17