Oklahoma State routs MVSUNov 9, 2013 - 5:02 AM Stillwater, OK (SportsNetwork.com) - Phil Forte had a game-high 22 points as the 8th-ranked Oklahoma State Cowboys crushed the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils 117-62 at Gallagher-Iba Arena.
Forte made 4-of-7 from beyond the arc and knocked down 6-of-6 free throws. Le'Bryan Nash contributed 21 points and 10 rebounds, while Markel Brown and Brian Williams both added 14 points in Oklahoma State's (1-0) dominant showing.
"We have so many great players on this team that it makes my job easy, and tonight was one of those nights," said Forte on his team's performance.
DeAngelo Priar paced Mississippi Valley State (0-1) with 17 points and four rebounds. Anthony McDonald had 16 points in the rout.
Oklahoma State won the only other meeting between these two teams, a 77-74 victory on Dec. 4, 1996.
"Although we won by a huge margin, we got a little bit out of it. We've got to shoot our free throws a little bit better than we did. I loved the passing. I thought we found the open man and made shots, which was nice to see. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good performance," said Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford.
Nash started off the game with a dunk for the Cowboys and added two from the free throw line to put the Cowboys up 7-2 at 17:20.
McDonald drained threes on back-to-back possessions before converting a pair at the foul line to cut Oklahoma State's lead down to 32-21 with 8:51 remaining in the first.
Forte capped of a 10-0 run with a 23-foot jumper from beyond the arc at 6:05 to make it 42-21. The Cowboys continued to dominate, taking a 34-point lead into the half with a commanding 63-29 edge.
The Cowboys jumped out to another 9-1 run early in the second half, highlighted by a dunk from Michael Cobbins at 15:48 to make it 75-36.
Oklahoma State continued its strong play with an 18-4 run that contained 3- pointers from Forte and Brown. Brown added another three at 7:47 to increase the lead to 98-45.
Priar scored eight of his 17 points in the final 11 minutes. James Currington added two free throws after a three from Oklahoma State's Ford Stuen to account for the final score.
Oklahoma State is 21-0 all-time against current members of the Southwestern Athletic Conference ... Nash made 9-of-10 from the free throw line ... Oklahoma State hosts Utah Valley on Tuesday.
- MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE: 62
OKLAHOMA STATE: 117
Nov 8 10:24 PM
- MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE: 29
OKLAHOMA STATE: 63
Nov 8 9:05 PM
- MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE: 0
OKLAHOMA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 8 8:09 PM
- Oklahoma Stare adds Gentry to basketball coaching staff May 11
- Oklahoma State introduces new coach Underwood Mar 23
- Oklahoma St. hires SFA's Brad Underwood as men's hoops coach Mar 22
- Oklahoma State to 'part ways' with basketball coach Ford Mar 18
- Oklahoma State coach Ford ejected from son's game Dec 11
- Robert Morris hangs on for 67-64 win over MVSU Nov 28
- Oklahoma State G Forte out with arm injury vs George Mason Nov 20
- Oklahoma State at a glance Oct 28
- Oklahoma State G Evans has star potential Oct 28
- Young advances Oregon past Oklahoma State Mar 20
- Pokes and Ducks duke it out in NCAA Tournament action Mar 20
- No. 15 Oklahoma holds off Oklahoma State Mar 13