SDSU routs Southern UtahDec 19, 2013 - 6:58 AM San Diego, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - Xavier Thames scored 10 of his 16 points in a huge first half for No. 24 San Diego State and the Aztecs coasted to a 76-39 win over Southern Utah on Wednesday night.
The Aztecs shot 50 percent and were 6-for-11 on 3-pointers in the first half for a 41-11 lead at the break. Thames made two 3s in a 21-2 run to open the game.
"I think the early start allowed us to dictate the pace and flow of the game," Aztecs head coach Steve Fisher said.
Aqeel Quinn added 14 points and Josh Davis scored 13 with 14 rebounds for the Aztecs (8-1), who have won seven straight games since losing to current No. 1 Arizona on Nov. 14.
Trey Kennedy had 10 points to lead the Thunderbirds (1-7), who have lost seven in a row since opening the season with a win over Arizona Christian.
"We didn't come out in the first half and step up to the challenge," Southern Utah head coach Nick Robinson said.
San Diego State led 39-5 with under three minutes to play in the first half. The Thunderbirds went on a comparative tear after that, outscoring the Aztecs 6-2 the rest of the way before the break.
Southern Utah shot 16.7 percent in the half and 28.6 percent for the game. The Aztecs led by as many as 42 late in the game.
San Diego State is at home against McNeese State on Saturday ... Southern Utah remains in the area to play at San Diego on Saturday.
- SOUTHERN UTAH: 39
SAN DIEGO STATE: 76
Dec 18 11:56 PM
- SOUTHERN UTAH: 11
SAN DIEGO STATE: 41
Dec 18 10:51 PM
- SOUTHERN UTAH: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 18 10:05 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Saint Mary's rolls over Southern Utah 92-36 Dec 17
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21