New Mexico opens with easy win over Alabama A&MNov 10, 2013 - 5:38 AM Albuquerque, NM (SportsNetwork.com) - Cameron Bairstow had 22 points and 11 rebounds and No. 23 New Mexico opened its season with an 88-52 win over Alabama A&M.
Kendall Williams finished with 17 points and seven assists, while Alex Kirk added 16 points and 12 rebounds for the Lobos (1-0), who finished 29-6 and earned a No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament but were bounced out in the second round by 14th-seeded Harvard.
Cullen Neal, the son of new head coach Craig Neal, netted 12 points in his debut. The elder Neal took over for Steve Alford, who bolted for UCLA.
Jeremy Crutcher led the Bulldogs (0-1) with 17 points.
Bairstow poured in eight points as the Lobos began the tilt on a 21-3 burst. The lead didn't dip below 15 points the rest of the way.
New Mexico took a 45-26 advantage into the break.
New Mexico shot 58.5 percent (31-of-53) from the field ... The Lobos outrebounded the Bulldogs, 48-27.
- ALABAMA A&M: 52
NEW MEXICO: 88
Nov 9 11:59 PM
- ALABAMA A&M: 26
NEW MEXICO: 45
Nov 9 10:54 PM
- ALABAMA A&M: 0
NEW MEXICO: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 9 10:07 PM
- Correction: New Mexico-San Jose St story Jan 25
- UNM investigating purchasing activity on staffer's card Dec 22
- Lobos forward's career over because of spinal condition Nov 19
- New Mexico knocks off unbeaten CSU Jan 4
- Rams and Lobos mix it up in Mountain West melee Jan 3
- New Mexico's Neal to receive two-year extension Mar 31
- Stanford holds off New Mexico Mar 21
- Cardinal clash with Lobos in South Regional affair Mar 21
- New Mexico clips San Diego State to win MWC title Mar 15
- MWC championship game pits Lobos against Aztecs Mar 15
- New Mexico slips past Boise State to reach MW final Mar 15
- Lobos tangle with Broncos in MWC semifinal round Mar 14