Top-ranked Florida rolls to 15th straight winNov 19, 2006 - 2:16 AM GAINESVILLE, Florida (Ticker) -- Billy Donovan and Florida continue to roll full steam ahead.
Lee Humphrey scored all of his 15 points on 3-pointers and Corey Brewer added 13 as the top-ranked Gators breezed to a 93-44 victory over Tennessee Chattanooga.
Florida (4-0) has won 15 consecutive games - the second-longest streak in school history - dating to last season and captured 24 straight non-conference matchups overall. The Gators are an impressive 43-8 against opponents outside of the Southeastern Conference over the past four campaigns under Donovan.
Donovan, in his 11th season, is just five games shy from passing Norm Sloan (235) as the all-time winningest coach in program history.
Humphrey's 3-pointer capped an 18-6 surge through the first seven minutes of the first half. Joakim Noah scored on an easy jam to help the Gators build an 18-point lead with 2:23 left before the break.
With a 37-19 lead already in place, Florida begin the second half on a commanding 25-2 burst and was never threatened thereafter. Brewer scored nine points during the run.
Junior Al Horford, who leads Florida in scoring with 16.7 points per game, finished with just seven points on 2-of-2 shooting. He picked up three fouls before halftime.
Taurean Green scored 11 points for the Gators, who shot 54 percent (32-of-59) from the field and scored a whopping 41 points off turnovers.
Florida made 14 shots from the arc and had nine different players make at least one 3-pointer, with Humphrey and Walter Hodge connecting on two each.
Nicchaeus Doaks scored 11 points and Ricky Hood chipped in nine for Tennessee Chattanooga (1-2), which shot 39 percent (17-of-44) and committed 26 turnovers.
The Gators are the first defending NCAA champion since 1998 to return all five starters the following season.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29
- Florida takes pressure off Finney-Smith to be more vocal Jan 18