Ohio State overwhelms Coppin StateDec 31, 2006 - 7:14 AM COLUMBUS, Ohio (Ticker) -- Coppin State picked the wrong time to pay a visit to Ohio State.
Freshman Daequan Cook scored 23 points as the sixth-ranked Buckeyes rebounded from their second loss of the season with a 91-54 drubbing of the overmatched Eagles.
Ohio State (11-2), which was coming off an 86-60 setback to defending national champion Florida last Saturday, took it out on Coppin State behind its heralded freshman class.
Cook hit 8-of-10 shots and center Greg Oden scored 18 points on 7-of-8 shooting as the Buckeyes shot a blistering 57 percent (32-of-56) from the floor. Oden also pulled down 16 rebounds and blocked two shots.
He's getting experience and getting in game shape," Ohio State coach Thad Motta said of Oden. "I think it is his sixth game now and he is more accustomed to playing. He is adjusting to defense and his teammates and understanding more of the flow. The big thing is getting up and down the court. It couldn't be more positive."
Othello Hunter and Jamar Butler added 16 and 15 points, respectively, for Ohio State, which only has lost to No. 2 North Carolina and third-ranked Florida.
Butler provided a quick spark by hitting three of his five 3-pointers in the first 10 minutes of the game.
"It felt pretty good. My teammates just got me open and I dropped them in," Butler said. "Coach just told me to get ready to shoot and be more aggressive. That's what I did tonight."
The Buckeyes followed Butler's lead, hitting 10 of their first 14 shots from the field, including 6-of-8 from the arc, in bolting to a 29-10 lead.
They were stronger and more physical down low than we were and their guard play was excellent," Eagles coach Ron Mitchell said. "Also, they succeeded at getting the ball to their scorers."
Tywain McKee scored 21 points to lead the Eagles (2-11), who completed a brutal four-game road swing that started with losses against Oklahoma, Alabama and Connecticut.
- ** CONFIRMED **
COPPIN ST 54
OHIO ST (6) 91 FINAL
Dec 30 10:39 PM
NCAA BB COPPIN ST 54
OHIO ST (6) 91 0:00 LEFT, 2ND HALF
Dec 30 10:38 PM
NCAA BB FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
COPPIN ST 30 22 52
OHIO ST (6) 46 45 91 FINAL
Dec 30 10:01 PM
- NCAA BB
COPPIN ST 30
OHIO ST (6) 46 HALFTIME
Dec 30 8:51 PM
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Ohio State, Nike agree on $252M sponsorship extension Jan 15
- Saint Bonaventure beats Ohio 81-68 Dec 5
- Ohio State Preview Capsule Oct 27
- 'Lots of unknowns' for Ohio State team full of young players Oct 27
- Ohio State's Russell says he's going pro Apr 22
- McConnell guides Arizona past Russell, Ohio State Mar 21
- Ohio State and Arizona square off in West Regional action Mar 21
- Russell leads Buckeyes over VCU Mar 19
- Rams butt heads with Buckeyes in West Region Mar 19
- Kaminsky, Wisconsin crush Ohio State Mar 9