Oklahoma State dismantles Texas-San AntonioDec 31, 2006 - 7:24 AM STILLWATER, Oklahoma (Ticker) -- Oklahoma State took advantage of a breather in its schedule.
JamesOn Curry scored 24 points to lead No. 14 Oklahoma State to an 84-47 romp over Texas-San Antonio.
Coming off a loss at Tennessee and a double-overtime victory over Pittsburgh, the Cowboys (13-1) put away this one by scoring the final 10 points of the first half for a 42-24 lead.
Oklahoma State completed a 16-0 run with the first six points of the second half and quickly extended the lead to 56-30 on a 3-pointer by Curry with 14 1/2 minutes left.
One thing that I felt was critical for us to do was to control the pace of the game," Oklahoma State coach Sean Sutton said. "I thought that they would prefer to play a more methodical game and at about the eight-minute mark in the first half we were able to get the pace going faster. That is one of the reasons that we pressed more tonight that we had all season. We wanted to keep it from being a grind-out, half-court game.
"Another thing that I thought was critical is that we rebound the basketball. I think that we built off of the momentum coming off the game against Pittsburgh the other night and we did a good job on the boards."
Kenny Cooper and Terrel Harris scored 15 points apiece while Mario Boggan contributed 13 and 11 rebounds, helping the Cowboys shoot 55 percent (32-of-58) from the floor and dominate the backboards, 34-17.
Sutton has been happy with the play of Cooper. The sophomore scored nine of his 15 points in the opening 20 minutes and hit 4-of-5 shots.
I feel like Kenny has put together three consecutive games where he has played extremely well," Sutton said. "He is playing with a lot of confidence and a tough physical mind-set. He is attacking the basket and doing a great job rebounding the ball. There is no question that he is a big part of what we are trying accomplish."
Melvin Smith scored 16 points to lead Texas-San Antonio (4-9), which remained winless in six road games this season and fell to 6-31 all-time against teams from the Big 12 Conference.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
TEX SAN ANTONIO 24 23 47
OKLAHOMA ST (14) 42 42 84 FINAL
Dec 30 9:59 PM
- NCAA BB
TEX SAN ANTONIO 24
OKLAHOMA ST (14) 42 HALFTIME
Dec 30 8:55 PM
- Oklahoma Stare adds Gentry to basketball coaching staff May 11
- Oklahoma assistant Steve Henson hired as UTSA head coach Apr 1
- Oklahoma State introduces new coach Underwood Mar 23
- Oklahoma St. hires SFA's Brad Underwood as men's hoops coach Mar 22
- Oklahoma State to 'part ways' with basketball coach Ford Mar 18
- Texas-San Antonio fires basketball coach Brooks Thompson Mar 10
- Elmore scores 23 with 7 treys as Marshall beats UTSA 109-91 Feb 6
- Oklahoma State coach Ford ejected from son's game Dec 11
- Oklahoma State G Forte out with arm injury vs George Mason Nov 20
- Loyola of Chicago pulls away from UTSA in 76-64 win Nov 14
- Oklahoma State at a glance Oct 28
- Oklahoma State G Evans has star potential Oct 28