Fields leads Panthers over BearcatsJan 25, 2007 - 5:48 AM CINCINNATI (Ticker) -- Levance Fields has been quiet lately, but he woke up and helped get Pittsburgh a big road win.
Fields scored 18 points to lead ninth-ranked Pittsburgh to a 67-51 Big East Conference victory over Cincinnati.
Ronald Ramon and Sam Young added 10 points each for the Panthers (18-3, 6-1 Big East), who were coming off a 77-74 overtime loss to Marquette on Sunday.
"We shot the ball real well, our offense was working and we played with a high level of intensity," Pittsburgh coach Jamie Dixon said. "If you bring all of those aspects to the table, you will win ballgames."
The Panthers, who improved to 8-1 in their last nine games, held an opponent to under 70 points for the 18th time in 21 games this season.
"Pitt has a great team," Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin said. "That being said, I don't think we gave them our best shot. What we learned tonight is that you can't miss layups and free throws, and expect to overcome the best team in the league."
Fields poured in a career-high 24 points in a 74-66 victory at Syracuse on January 4 but has averaged only 6.4 points in his last five games.
The sophomore guard scored 15 points - all on 3-pointers - in the first half as Pittsburgh took a comfortable 38-26 halftime advantage behind 68 percent (13-of-19) shooting, including 10-of-13 from the arc.
"We made some mental mistakes in our defense in the first half," Cronin said. "On the offensive end, our lack of execution at times hurt us."
Ramon also made all three of his long-range attempts in the first half.
Fields, who had no more than three 3-pointers in any game before Wednesday, finished with a career-high six on seven attempts.
The Panthers finished 63 percent (12-of-19) from 3-point range while the Bearcats connected on only 4-of-18 (22 percent) from the arc.
The Bearcats, 1-6 in their last seven games, shot 37 percent (10-of-27) in the first half and for the game (19-of-52).
John Williamson led Cincinnati (10-9, 1-4) with 15 points while freshman Deonta Vaughn added 13.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
PITTSBURGH (9) 38 29 67
CINCINNATI 26 25 51 FINAL
Jan 24 9:55 PM
- NCAA BB
PITTSBURGH (9) 38
CINCINNATI 26 HALFTIME
Jan 24 8:49 PM
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Cincinnati says Mick Cronin is staying after talks with UNLV Mar 25
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- A late dunk, a last-second 3 add to Cincinnati's heartbreak Mar 21
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27
- Struggling Pittsburgh searching for consistency Feb 19
- Young, Jeter lead Pitt past St. Joseph's (Ind), 84-43 Nov 17
- Cincinnati routs Robert Morris 106-44 Nov 15