Fazekas powers Nevada past Utah StateJan 28, 2007 - 6:18 AM RENO, Nevada (Ticker) -- Utah State was the last team to beat Nevada at home, so Nick Fazekas couldn't wait to get his hands on them.
Fazekas scored 24 points and grabbed a career high-tying 18 rebounds as the No. 15 Wolf Pack posted a 79-62 Western Athletic Conference victory over the Aggies.
Marcelus Kemp had 15 points and Ramon Sessions added 13 and seven assists for Nevada (19-2, 7-1 WAC), which has won 13 straight here after suffering a 59-53 loss to Utah State on January 23, 2006.
"We ran out of gas," Utah State coach Stan Morrill said. "Their size wore us down. We had a tough time scoring on their defense because of their size."
Fazekas, a Wooden Award candidate, converted 9-of-17 from the field as the Wolf Pack shot 50 percent (29-of-58), including 9-of-23 from 3-point range.
"I'm pleased," Nevada coach Mark Fox said. "Offensively we showed good patience and got a lot of assists."
The two-time Western Conference Player of the Year suffered a severe ankle sprain January 8 vs. Boise State and was sidelined for the first time in his career, missing two games.
He matched his career high on the boards which he had previously done twice, including 18 on November 15 at Oregon State.
"Because of my ankle, I haven't had much lift the last two or three games," Fazekas said. "I was relying on the ball to come to me. I did a much better job tonight, but still have strides to make with my ankle.
Kyle Shiloh added 10 points, including 2-of-3 from the arc, for Nevada, which has won three straight and 13 of 14 overall.
"We seem to find a way to win," Fazekas said.
Jaycee Carroll scored 15 points and Chaz Spicer added 12 for the Aggies (15-6, 4-3), who shot 41 percent (25-of-61) and lost for the first time in six games.
"Nevada was physical and did a great job defensively," Carroll said. "They are one of the top teams in the conference on me defensively."
Utah State has dropped its last five games to top-25 teams.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
UTAH ST 30 32 62
NEVADA (15) 43 36 79 FINAL
Jan 27 11:49 PM
- NCAA BB
UTAH ST 30
NEVADA (15) 43 HALFTIME
Jan 27 10:49 PM
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- Utah State's Jalen Moore to submit name for NBA draft Mar 25
- West leaves Nevada hoops; ex-star cites personal reasons Dec 15
- Utah State downs Union (Tenn.) 73-49 Nov 20
- Nevada picks Eric Musselman as men's coach Mar 25
- Utah State coach Stew Morrill to retire at season's end Jan 9
- San Diego State routs Utah State in MWC quarters Mar 13
- Aztecs and Aggies square off in MWC quarterfinals Mar 13
- Bairstow, No. 25 New Mexico down Nevada Mar 2
- Lobos meet Wolf Pack in MWC clash Mar 2