Hunt helps No. 10 Memphis capture 12th straight winFeb 9, 2007 - 6:36 AM BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (Ticker) -- Reserve Jeremy Hunt and Memphis wasted little time.
Hunt scored a career-high 30 points as the 10th-ranked Tigers recorded their 12th straight win with an effortless 70-56 victory over Alabama-Birmingham.
A 6-5 senior, Hunt made 10-of-18 shots, including 7-of-13 from 3-point range, to help coach John Calipari improve to 10-3 vs. the Blazers.
Hunt's pervious career-best was a 24-point outburst, set twice with his the last time coming against Cincinnati on January 4.
With the departures of Cincinnati, DePaul, Louisville, Marquette and South Florida to the Big East Conference after the 2004-05 campaign, Memphis (20-3, 10-0 C-USA) has ruled the league, going to 23-1 since.
Hunt controlled the opening 20 minutes by scoring 24 points, including 19 in an impressive 26-15 surge that he capped with consecutive 3-pointers to finished the half for a 37-25 bulge at halftime.
Hunt connected on 6-of-9 from the arc in the first half while the rest of his teammates went a dismal 0-for-6.
Memphis continued to apply the pressure after intermission, using a 10-2 burst over the first four minutes for a 49-27 advantage.
Chris Douglas-Roberts and freshman Doneal Mack scored 10 points apiece for the Tigers, who shot 36 percent (23-of-63) from the floor and scored 25 points off 20 turnovers.
Memphis forward Joey Dozier pulled down 13 rebounds - including eight offensive boards - and added four blocks and three steals before fouling out.
Paul Delaney netted 18 points and Frank Holmes chipped in 14 and nine rebounds for UAB (11-12, 3-6), which was held to a dismal 2-of-15 from the arc.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MEMPHIS (10) 37 33 70
UAB 25 31 56 FINAL
Feb 8 11:37 PM
- NCAA BB
MEMPHIS (10) 37
UAB 25 HALFTIME
Feb 8 10:27 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- UAB gives Robert Ehsan 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually Apr 20
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- UAB elevates Rob Ehsan to become men's basketball coach Apr 4
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- UAB, Haase agree to new 6-year contract Mar 25
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- UAB topples Iowa State for first upset of tourney Mar 19