Memphis extends win streak at TulsaFeb 15, 2007 - 5:18 AM TULSA, Oklahoma (Ticker) -- Going on the road didn't slow down Memphis.
Chris Douglas-Roberts scored 20 points to lead the ninth-ranked Tigers to their 14th straight win, a 69-52 Conference USA victory over Tulsa.
Antonio Anderson chipped in 15 points for Memphis and Robert Dozier grabbed 10 rebounds to keep Memphis (22-3, 11-0 C-USA) undefeated in league play.
The Tigers shot 37 percent (22-of-59) from the field, including just 2-of-13 on 3-pointers, but overcame their poor shooting by forcing 19 Tulsa turnovers and turning them into 24 points.
"And they guarded us, I mean we shot 37 percent. That is one of our lowest percentages of the year," Tigers coach John Calipari said.
A 6-of-27 first-half shooting effort doomed the Golden Hurricane, as Memphis went into the half with 34-24 lead.
"We had a heck of a defensive effort, creating turnovers and contesting shots," Calipari said.
Field-goal percentage defense is strong point for Calipari's team. The Tigers came into the game fifth in the nation in that category, allowing opponents to shoot just 38 percent from the floor on the season.
Jamel McLean scored 16 points and was the only player in double figures for Tulsa (15-9, 5-6).
The victory clinched a first round bye for Memphis in the Conference USA tournament.
The Tigers will put their win streak to the test Saturday as they travel to Gonzaga in late-season matchup of mid-major powers.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MEMPHIS (9) 34 35 69
TULSA 24 28 52 FINAL
Feb 14 10:17 PM
- NCAA BB
MEMPHIS (9) 34
TULSA 24 HALFTIME
Feb 14 9:03 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Ex-Georgia coach Dennis Felton looking for another chance Apr 1
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- SMU beats Tulsa to claim AAC title Mar 8
- Tulsa and SMU meet for AAC crown Mar 8
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27
- SMU and Memphis collide in AAC action Feb 26