Arizona routs Houston in return homeDec 18, 2006 - 6:23 AM TUCSON, Arizona (Ticker) -- Houston came in with the high-powered offense. But Arizona provided a lesson in all facets of the game.
Mustafa Shakur led a balanced attack with 17 points and No. 11 Arizona shut down a high-powered Houston attack en route to an 87-62 victory n a non-conference matchup.
Playing their first home game since beating UNLV, 89-75, on November 28, the Wildcats (8-1), who shot 53 percent (33-of-62) from the floor, had five players in double figures and held a 58-26 edge on the backboards.
Arizona's defense completely shut down the perimeter attack of the Cougars (4-3), who entered averaging 92 points per game. They shot an unbelievable 41 3-pointers, but made just 12. Overall, Houston (4-3) shot 31 percent (24-of-77).
Shakur made 7-of-8 shots from the field, handed out eight assists and grabbed six rebounds. Ivan Radenovic added 16 points and 11 rebounds, Marcus Williams chipped in 15 and 12 and freshman Chase Budinger also scored 15 on 7-of-10 shooting.
Arizona blistered the nets at 58 percent (18-of-31) in the second half as it outscored Houston, 46-29. The shooting and board advantage helped offset 20 turnovers.
After losing its season opener to Virginia, Arizona has logged its first eight-game winning streak since the 2004-05 season while posting a winning margin of over 18 points.
Rob McKiver scored 13 points but made just 5-of-16 shots and Dion Dowell and Lanny Smith added 12 apiece.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
HOUSTON 33 29 62
ARIZONA (11) 41 46 87 FINAL
Dec 17 11:57 PM
- NCAA BB
ARIZONA (11) 41 HALFTIME
Dec 17 10:52 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29
- Freshman Trier to miss up to 6 weeks for No. 7 Arizona Jan 10
- Arizona's Trier coming on strong after talk from Miller Dec 12
- Gonzaga, Arizona to keep one of West's best matchups going Dec 2
- Arizona's Tarczewski out at least a month with foot injury Dec 1