Green, Brewer and Florida continue to roll at homeJan 3, 2007 - 5:59 AM GAINESVILLE, Florida (Ticker) -- Taurean Green and Corey Brewer made sure that Florida was at the top of its game before going into league play.
Green and Brewer scored 14 points apiece as third-ranked Florida rolled to its sixth straight win with an 89-58 victory over Liberty in its final non-conference matchup before the Southeastern Conference.
Joakim Noah had 15 points and Al Horford added 12 and 11 rebounds for the Gators (13-2), who shot 62 percent (34-of-55) from the field on the way to improving to 10-0 at home.
It was the third double-double in the last four games for Horford, who is averaging 13.5 points and 10.3 boards in that span.
Florida, which entered the contest second in the SEC averaging 84.1 points per game, shot 60 percent or better from the floor for the fourth time this season.
The effort proved to be a much better one than the last time out for Florida, which needed to rally from an 11-point deficit against Alabama-Birmingham for a 75-70 victory at the Orange Bowl Classic on Saturday.
Green and Brewer were the main contributors to the Gators' strong start against the Flames, scoring 10 points each en route to a 52-26 lead at the half.
Green finished 5-of-6 from the field with two 3-pointers and Brewer shot 4-of-8 with a basket from the arc for Florida, which is now 10-0 all-time against teams from the Big South Conference.
Another reason for the Gators' improved effort was their work on the boards, finishing with a 46-19 advantage in rebounding. It was the greatest margin in that category this season.
Florida freshman center Marreese Speights had seven rebounds to go along with eight points and Noah finished with six boards.
Anthony Smith scored 18 points and Larry Blair 17 for Liberty (6-8), which absorbed its seventh straight loss.
A former player at Providence who faced Florida in 2004, Dwight Brewington chipped in 15 points for the Flames, who were pounded in points in the paint, 52-26.
NCAA BB FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
LIBERTY 26 32 58
FLORIDA (3) 52 37 89 FINAL
Jan 2 8:12 PM
- NCAA BB
FLORIDA (3) 52 HALFTIME
Jan 2 7:05 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29
- Florida takes pressure off Finney-Smith to be more vocal Jan 18