Texas looks to rebound vs. St. John'sNov 17, 2006 - 3:33 PM St Johns (2-1) at No. 18 Texas (2-1) 7:00 pm EST
NEW YORK (Ticker) - After a final-second defeat, 18th-ranked Texas tries to bounce back against St. John's in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic on Friday.
A layup by Michigan State guard Drew Neitzel with 2.4 seconds left placed Texas in a 63-61 hole Thursday.
A.J. Abrams' desperation attempt just inside the halfcourt line missed, finalizing the Longhorns' first loss of the season.
Abrams scored 22 points and made four steals and freshman Kevin Durant added 21, nine rebounds and four blocks for Texas, which shot just 35 percent (22-of-63) from the floor.
The Red Storm did not have the luxury of having a chance to win at the end since they were handled early, paving the way for a 92-60 fall Thursday.
Anthony Mason Jr. scored 12 points and Ricky Torres had 11 for St. John's, which trailed, 58-21, at the half.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6
- Texas Western celebrating historic title 50 years later Feb 4
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- Texas says no evidence of academic misconduct Jan 13
- Longhorns: Swingman Jordan Barnett asks to transfer Jan 12