Rhodes, Gordon lead Mississippi State to NIT victoryMar 14, 2007 - 7:04 AM STARKVILLE, Mississippi (Ticker) -- Charles Rhodes scored 21 points and Jamont Gordon added 18 to lead Mississippi State to an 82-63 victory over Mississippi Valley State in a first-round matchup in the National Invitation Tournament.
Seeded No. 1 in the North Region, Mississippi State (19-13) advances to meet either Bradley or Providence on Saturday.
Rhodes was 8-of-12 from the field and tied his career high with four blocked shots. Gordon was also 8-of-12 shooting and added nine rebounds and eight assists.
The Delta Devils (18-16) shot just 33 percent (9-of-27) in the first half and trailed 40-24 at the break.
Ben Hansbrough added 15 points and five assists off the bench for the Bulldogs, who improved to 14-3 at home, setting a record for most home victories in a season.
Carl Lucas scored 22 points and was the only player in double figures for the Delta Devils.
- NIT NORTH REGION
NCAA BB NIT NORTH REGION
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MISS VALLEY ST 24 39 63
MISSISSIPPI ST 40 42 82 FINAL
Mar 13 9:59 PM
- NIT NORTH REGION
NCAA BB (8) MISS VALLEY ST 24
(1) MISSISSIPPI ST 40 HALFTIME
Mar 13 8:53 PM
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Robert Morris hangs on for 67-64 win over MVSU Nov 28
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- Mississippi St Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Mississippi State pins turnaround hopes on Newman, Howland Oct 29
- Howland named Mississippi State basketball coach Mar 23
- Mississippi State fires Ray after 3 seasons Mar 21
- UK routs Mississippi State to stay unbeaten Feb 25
- Top-ranked Wildcats continue run against Bulldogs Feb 25
- Arkansas holds on for 6th straight win Feb 21