First-half spurt enough for West VirginiaMar 14, 2007 - 2:16 AM MORGANTOWN, West Virginia (Ticker) -- West Virginia closed out the first half with a big run and Delaware State never got a second chance.
Frank Young scored 17 points and Alex Ruoff added 14 as West Virginia posted a 74-50 victory over Delaware State in a first-round East Region matchup in the National Invitation Tournament.
The top seed in the East, West Virginia (23-9) closed the first half on a 17-0 run to take a 39-13 lead at the break.
The Mountaineers may have been disappointed about being left out of the NCAA Tournament, but they did not show it against the Hornets. West Virginia shot 63 percent (15-of-24) from the field in the first half.
Delaware State shot 6-of-25 (24 percent) from the field in the opening 20 minutes and did not score in the final five minutes of the first half.
Jahsha Bluntt scored 19 points for the eighth-seeded Hornets (21-13) and Aaron Fleetwood had 14 points.
Delaware State earned an automatic bid into the NIT after winning its third straight Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference regular-season championship. Florida A&M knocked off Delaware at the buzzer in the conference championship game.
The Rattlers lost to Niagara, 77-69, in the opening-round game of the NCAA Tournament in Dayton, Ohio on Tuesday.
The Mountaineers will host the winner of the Massachusetts-Alabama game Thursday in the second round.
- NIT EAST REGION
NCAA BB NIT EAST REGION
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
DELAWARE ST 13 37 50
WEST VIRGINIA 39 35 74 FINAL
Mar 13 8:43 PM
- NIT EAST REGION
NCAA BB (8) DELAWARE ST 13
(1) WEST VIRGINIA 39 HALFTIME
Mar 13 7:46 PM
- Press Virginia meets its match, ousted by Stephen F. Austin Mar 18
- Pressure! West Virginia, Stephen F Austin match frenetic D Mar 17
- WVU's goggled junior Devin Williams has opened some eyes Mar 15
- West Virginia's deep bench led by top scorer Jaysean Paige Feb 25
- West Virginia dedicates statue to "Hot Rod" Hundley Feb 20
- West Virginia forward Jonathan Holton reinstated to team Feb 11
- Huggins critical of team after No. 9 WVU loses at Florida Jan 30
- Delaware State beats D-III Summit U 93-44 for 1st win Jan 4
- West Virginia preview capsule Oct 28
- WVU's Huggins wants 'Press Virginia' to commit fewer fouls Oct 28
- Kentucky dominates West Virginia start to finish Mar 27
- Wildcats and Mountaineers meet in Sweet 16 Mar 26