Thornton carries Florida State in NIT openerMar 14, 2007 - 1:24 AM TALLAHASSEE, Florida (Ticker) -- Al Thornton and Florida State may not be playing in the NCAA Tournament. So they are making the best of it in this one.
Thornton had 24 points and two blocks as the Seminoles coasted to a 77-61 North Region victory over Toledo in the first round of the National Invitation Tournament.
After having its dreams of the "Big Dance" dashed on Selection Sunday, Florida State took its frustration out on the Rockets, jumping out to a 39-23 advantage at intermission by shooting 60 percent (17-of-28) from the field.
The Seminoles (21-12) were never challenged following the break as they shot 64 percent (16-of-25) in the second half en route to holding an impressive 54-30 edge in points in the paint.
Isaiah Swann scored 12 points and Jason Rich and Ryan Reid each added 10 for Florida State, which scored 17 points off 11 turnovers.
Last season, the Seminoles lost in the second round of this tournament to eventual champion South Carolina.
Justin Ingram netted 17 points and Keonta Howell and Florentino Valencia chipped in 13 apiece for Toledo, which shot 41 percent (24-of-58) to finish its season at 19-13 out of the Mid-American Conference.
- NIT NORTH REGION
NCAA BB NIT NORTH REGION
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
TOLEDO 23 38 61
FLORIDA ST 39 38 77 FINAL
Mar 13 7:57 PM
- NIT NORTH REGION
NCAA BB (7) TOLEDO 23
(2) FLORIDA ST 39 HALFTIME
Mar 13 6:51 PM
- Florida State guard Rathan-Mayes returning for junior season May 2
- Junior college guard Angola-Rodas to attend Florida State Apr 20
- Mutombo's nephew signs to play basketball at Florida State Apr 13
- Florida State's Rathan-Mayes to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Florida State's Bacon withdraws from NBA draft consideration Mar 28
- Florida State's Beasley focuses on training for NBA draft Mar 24
- Florida State's Bacon to submit name for NBA draft Mar 23
- Florida State hope lessons learned will pay off next season Mar 18
- FSU's Beacon and Beasley focused on NIT, not NBA Mar 14
- Florida State senior Devon Bookert emerges as team leader Mar 4
- Hamilton, Florida State looks to snap 5-game losing streak Feb 26
- Leonard Hamilton gets 2-year extension at Florida State Feb 24