Ole Miss outlasts Appalachian StateMar 15, 2007 - 3:19 AM OXFORD, Mississippi (Ticker) -- Ole Miss made a victorious return to the postseason.
Todd Abernethy scored 18 points and the fourth-seeded Rebels pulled away in the second half to defeat Appalachian State, 73-59, in a South Region opening game of the National Invitation Tournament.
Making their first appearance in the postseason since 2002, the Rebels used a hot-shooting second half to knock off the fifth-seeded Mountaineers (25-8), who won the regular-season title in the Southern Conference.
Dwayne Curtis scored 14 points and Kenny Williams added 13 and 11 rebounds as Ole Miss (21-12) shot 56 percent (15-of-27) after the intermission.
D.J. Thompson finished with 17 points and four steals and Donte Minter added 14 points for Appalachian State, which was seeking the first postseason victory in school history.
The Mountaineers made 14 steals but couldn't capitalize as they shot 37 percent (22-of-59) and hit just 5-of-20 3-point attempts.
Ole Miss will play at Clemson on Monday in a second-round matchup.
- NIT SOUTH REGION
NCAA BB NIT SOUTH REGION
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
APPALACHIAN ST 35 24 59
OLE MISS 38 35 73 FINAL
Mar 14 9:51 PM
- NIT SOUTH REGION
NCAA BB (5) APPALACHIAN ST 35
(4) OLE MISS 38 HALFTIME
Mar 14 8:53 PM
- Mississippi tries to hold off surging Mississippi State Mar 1
- Mississippi's Saiz returns from eye injury Feb 12
- Guard Stefan Moody lighting up SEC scoreboards for Ole Miss Jan 15
- Xavier handles Ole Miss Mar 19
- Xavier begins tournament against Ole Miss Mar 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- Late shot sends Arkansas past Ole Miss Feb 15
- Arkansas and Ole Miss clash in SEC showdown Feb 14
- Ole Miss knocks off No. 19 Arkansas Jan 18
- Ole Miss takes on No. 19 Arkansas in SEC action Jan 17
- No. 1 Kentucky survives in overtime against Ole Miss Jan 7