Rivers, Booker lead Clemson to second round of NITMar 15, 2007 - 3:35 AM CLEMSON, South Carolina (Ticker) -- K.C. Rivers and Trevor Booker came up big on the boards to lead Clemson to a 64-57 victory over East Tennessee State in a National Invitation Tournament first-round game.
Rivers scored 17 points and had 14 rebounds and Booker had 11 points and 11 boards for Clemson, which is the No. 1 seed in the South Region.
Thanks to Rivers and Booker, the Tigers (22-10) had a 51-32 edge on the boards and scored 15 second-chance points to seven for the Bucs (24-10), who won the regular-season championship in the Atlantic Sun Conference.
Courtney Pigram, the Atlantic Sun Conference's Player of the Year, scored 25 points and was the only Buc in double figures.
Booker scored six points in a 9-2 run that gave Clemson a 57-51 lead with just over four minutes left. East Tennessee never got closer than four the rest of the way.
Clemson has now won seven consecutive NIT home games dating to a 1982 home loss to Mississippi. The Tigers will get a chance to avenge that loss as they host the Rebels in a second-round game on Monday.
- NIT SOUTH REGION
NCAA BB NIT SOUTH REGION
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
EAST TENN ST 25 32 57
CLEMSON 29 35 64 FINAL
Mar 14 7:57 PM
- NIT SOUTH REGION
NCAA BB (8) EAST TENN ST 25
(1) CLEMSON 29 HALFTIME
Mar 14 6:54 PM
- Clemson leading scorer Jaron Blossomgame files for NBA draft Mar 16
- Clemson picks up Texas A&M transfer in Elijah Thomas Jan 7
- Coach: Clemson reserve guard Austin Ajukwa transferring Nov 3
- Clemson Preview Capsule Oct 26
- On The Road: Clemson spending all season away from home Oct 26
- East Tennessee State tabs Forbes as new men's basketball coach Mar 31
- Grant leads Notre Dame over Clemson Mar 7
- Irish set sights on Tigers in season finale Mar 7
- Duke demolishes Clemson without Okafor Feb 21
- Duke and Clemson clash in ACC action Feb 21
- Notre Dame survives scare at Clemson Feb 10
- 10th-ranked Irish seek turnaround against Tigers Feb 10