Stukes, Georgia answer Fresno State's 3-point spreeMar 15, 2007 - 2:45 AM ATHENS, Georgia (Ticker) -- Levi Stukes was almost perfect from 3-point range. He couldn't afford to miss.
Stukes scored a season-high 30 points, making 8-of-9 shots from the arc, to lead fourth-seeded Georgia to an 88-78 victory over fifth-seeded Fresno State in a first-round West Region game of the National Invitation Tournament.
Setting a career high with his eight 3-pointers, Stukes helped the Bulldogs weather a long-distance barrage from Fresno State, which launched 40 shots from the arc, connecting on 18.
Georgia (19-13) jumped out to an 8-0 lead before Fresno State answered with six consecutive 3-pointers to take an 18-17 lead.
Despite hitting nine shots from the arc in the opening 20 minutes, Fresno State trailed at the half, 40-32.
Georgia slowly pulled away in the second half, building the lead to as many as 20 points on a 3-pointer by Corey Butler with 5:09 to play.
Takais Brown added 21 points for Georgia, which hit a season-high 13-of-22 from the arc.
Eddie Miller and Hector Hernandez each scored 21 points - making seven 3-pointers apiece - for Fresno State (22-10).
Georgia will play the winner of Air Force and Austin Peay on Monday at a site to be determined.
- NIT WEST REGION
NCAA BB NIT WEST REGION
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
FRESNO ST 32 46 78
GEORGIA 40 48 88 FINAL
Mar 14 8:54 PM
- NIT WEST REGION
NCAA BB (5) FRESNO ST 32
(4) GEORGIA 40 HALFTIME
Mar 14 7:53 PM
- Georgia's Juwan Parker granted medical redshirt May 23
- Georgia signs forward Diatta as transfer from Southern Idaho Apr 20
- McGarity believes Georgia program still growing with Fox Mar 30
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- J.J. Frazier keeps believing, keeps shooting for Georgia Mar 4
- Georgia bracing for road trips to LSU and No. 17 Baylor Jan 25
- Georgia looking for turnaround following ugly loss to Aggies Jan 19
- Georgia defeats Robert Morris 79-67 Dec 29
- Georgia Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Georgia's Fox pushing for consistency after reaching NCAAs Oct 29
- Mann, Gaines looking to push Georgia to new heights Oct 23
- Michigan State holds off Georgia Mar 20