Young shoots West Virginia past MassachusettsMar 16, 2007 - 8:09 AM MORGANTOWN, West Virginia (Ticker) -- Both Massachusetts and West Virginia gave their defenses the night off in their National Invitation Tournament matchup.
Frank Young scored a career-high 31 points to lead the top-seeded Mountaineers to a 90-77 East Region second-round matchup.
Young finished 11-of-15 from the field and made 6-of-8 3-pointers to lift West Virginia (24-9) into the quarterfinals against either North Carolina State or Marist.
A 6-5 senior forward, Young scored 18 points to lead the Mountaineers to a 37-23 halftime advantage.
UMass (24-9) did its best to forge a comeback, shooting a blistering 70 percent (21-of-30) after the intermission. But they were stymied by the hot-shooting Mountaineers, who shot 61.5 percent (16-of-26) after the break.
James Life scored 20 points and Stephane Lasme added 14 and 14 rebounds for the Minutemen.
- NIT EAST REGION
NCAA BB NIT EAST REGION
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MASSACHUSETTS 23 54 77
WEST VIRGINIA 37 53 90 FINAL
Mar 15 11:03 PM
- NIT EAST REGION
NCAA BB (4) MASSACHUSETTS 23
(1) WEST VIRGINIA 37 HALFTIME
Mar 15 9:48 PM
- Press Virginia meets its match, ousted by Stephen F. Austin Mar 18
- Pressure! West Virginia, Stephen F Austin match frenetic D Mar 17
- WVU's goggled junior Devin Williams has opened some eyes Mar 15
- West Virginia's deep bench led by top scorer Jaysean Paige Feb 25
- West Virginia dedicates statue to "Hot Rod" Hundley Feb 20
- West Virginia forward Jonathan Holton reinstated to team Feb 11
- Huggins critical of team after No. 9 WVU loses at Florida Jan 30
- West Virginia preview capsule Oct 28
- WVU's Huggins wants 'Press Virginia' to commit fewer fouls Oct 28
- Kentucky dominates West Virginia start to finish Mar 27
- Wildcats and Mountaineers meet in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- WVU beats Maryland to advance to Sweet 16 Mar 23