Dorsey's double-double helps extend Memphis' perfect startDec 16, 2007 - 5:17 AM NASHVILLE, Tennessee (Ticker) -- It took a while before Joey Dorsey and Memphis shook off their long delay.
Dorsey scored 11 points and grabbed 12 rebounds as the second-ranked Tigers continued their undefeated start with a 65-41 victory over Middle Tennessee State in the Sun Belt Classic on Saturday.
Playing for the first time in 11 days after a 62-58 overtime win over Southern California at Madison Square Garden on December 4, Memphis (8-0) displayed some early rust before picking it up.
After opening the game by scoring 10 of the first 14 points, the Tigers found themselves tied at 16-16 following a jumper by Kevin Kanaskie with 9:36 left to play in the first half.
Dorsey then scored the next five points and had eight leading into the break to give his team a 35-23 advantage at the half.
Memphis continued to roll after the break, pulling ahead, 48-30, on a dunk off an offensive rebound by Dorsey with 14:43 remaining.
Robert Dozier and Shawn Taggert also scored 11 points for the Tigers, who finished 48 percent (24-of-50) from the field en route to matching their best start since the 1995-96 season.
While Dorsey, who finished 4-of-4 from the field and blocked three shots, had a strong showing, leading scorers Chris Douglas-Roberts and freshman Derrick Rose combined for just nine points.
A 20.1 scorer coming in, Douglas-Roberts went just 2-of-5 from the field and had three turnovers without an assist.
The junior guard has managed just 15 points over his last two games, going 6-of-18 from the field. Douglas-Roberts has not made more than one 3-pointer in his last four games.
After a brilliant start in which he averaged 19.8 points over his first four games, Rose has failed to break double-digits in three of his last four contests.
Similar to Douglas-Roberts, Rose also went 2-of-5 from the field and had three turnovers.
Demetrius Green, Theryn Hudson and Dino Hair had eight points apiece for Middle Tennessee State (3-5), which shot 27 percent (13-of-48) and committed 20 turnovers.
- SUN BELT CLASSIC
NCAA BB SUN BELT CLASSIC
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MEMPHIS (2) 35 30 65
MIDDLE TENN 22 19 41 FINAL
Dec 15 9:00 PM
- SUN BELT CLASSIC
NCAA BB (2) MEMPHIS 35
MIDDLE TENN 22 HALFTIME
Dec 15 7:57 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Middle Tennessee State sets sights on upset of Syracuse Mar 19
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Potts out indefinitely with concussion for Middle Tennessee Feb 26
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27