Hibbert takes over in second half to lift GeorgetownNov 10, 2007 - 9:47 PM WASHINGTON (Ticker) -- Roy Hibbert took advantage of his size.
Hibbert scored 15 of his 23 points in the second half as fifth-ranked Georgetown pulled away for a 68-53 victory over William & Mary on Saturday.
An intimidating 7-2 center who likely would have been a lottery pick if he entered the NBA draft, Hibbert decided to return for his senior season after the Hoyas (1-0) reached the Final Four last spring.
With Hibbert five inches taller than the biggest player for the Pride, the Hoyas simplified their game plan in the second half, constantly feeding their big man in the post.
"Clearly, he is the focal point, the hub," Georgetown coach John Thompson III said. "He's going to be the hub of everything we're doing."
After the Pride pulled within 47-45 with 9:44 remaining on David Schneider's 3-pointer, Hibbert converted a layup and hook shot to trigger a 16-5 run to give the Hoyas control.
Hibbert made 9-of-11 shots, pulled down eight rebounds and also collected three blocks.
"Things were working down in the post, so we went to that," Hibbert said.
"Hibbert displayed a great touch inside," William & Mary coach Tony Shaver said. "Once he gets it, you can't stop him, basically."
Jessie Sapp added 18 points, Jonathan Wallace 15 and DaJuan Summers 10 for the Hoyas, who shot 59 percent (13-of-22) in the second half and 50 percent (24-of-48)overall.
Laimis Kisielius scored all 16 of his points in the first half for the Pride (0-1), who were within 35-30 at the break. Schneider was the only other player for the Pride in double figures as he finished with 14 points.
However, the Hoyas turned up the defensive pressure thereafter, holding the Pride to 28 percent (9-of-32) shooting after intermission.
"They're a great defensive ballclub. Physically, they just wear you out," Shaver said. "I thought he looked exhausted in the second half."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
WILLIAM & MARY 30 23 53
GEORGETOWN (5) 35 33 68 FINAL
Nov 10 1:51 PM
- NCAA BB
WILLIAM & MARY 30
(5) GEORGETOWN 35 HALFTIME
Nov 10 12:53 PM
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- Georgetown G Smith-Rivera to enter NBA Draft Mar 31
- Utah tops Georgetown, makes 1st Sweet 16 in 10 years Mar 21
- Utes and Hoyas meet in third round of NCAA Tournament Mar 21
- Georgetown topples Eastern Washington to advance Mar 20
- Hoyas set sights on Eagles in South Regional action Mar 19
- Xavier holds off Georgetown to reach Big East finals Mar 14
- Xavier and Georgetown do battle in Big East tourney Mar 13
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12