Luenen leads balanced effort in rout of San FranciscoNov 25, 2007 - 8:09 AM EUGENE, Oregon (Ticker) -- Maarty Luenen led seven players in double figures with 18 points to guide No. 11 Oregon to a 110-79 victory over San Francisco on Saturday.
The Ducks never trailed and led by as many as 16 points late in the first half behind 11 first-half points from the 6-9 senior forward.
After taking a 62-50 lead into the half, Oregon blew the game open with a 24-11 run to start the second half, taking an 86-61 lead with just over 11 minutes remaining.
"I thought we gave up way too many points in the first half, so at halftime we gave them a little pep talk, and I think we did way better in the second half," Oregon coach Ernie Kent said. "Overall, I was very pleased offensively how we played."
Tajuan Porter scored 16 points and Joevan Catron added 14 and 14 rebounds for the Ducks (5-1), who rebounded nicely from a surprising 99-87 loss to St. Mary's on Monday.
Oregon enjoyed a 39-27 advantage on the boards and shot 56 percent (40-for-72) for the game. The Ducks also held the Dons to just 28 percent (10-of-36) shooting in the second half as San Francisco missed 10 of its first 11 shots after the break.
"Everyone on our team can score," Catron said. "Offense isn't our problem right now. We're going to score regardless. We just need to stop people to get big leads."
Manny Quezada scored 30 points and Dior Lowhorn added 29 for the Dons (2-3), who have dropped each of their three road games.
Along with Myron Strong, who posted 15, the trio were the only players to score more than two points for San Francisco.
"We cannot come out and allow a team to get those kinds of clean looks at the basket," San Francisco coach Jessie Evans said. "We also need to work on handling the zone defense a little bit better and getting some touches inside. All around, it was a not a good offensive effort in the second half."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SAN FRANCISCO 50 29 79
OREGON (11) 62 48 110 FINAL
Nov 24 11:51 PM
- NCAA BB
SAN FRANCISCO 50
(11) OREGON 62 HALFTIME
Nov 24 10:49 PM
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- New San Francisco coach Kyle Smith seeks another turnaround Apr 1
- Kyle Smith new San Francisco basketball coach Mar 30
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Oregon's rise on national stage highlighted by top seed Mar 15
- San Francisco fires coach Rex Walters after 8 seasons Mar 9
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5