Augustin scores 18 as Texas crushes RiceDec 9, 2007 - 5:53 AM HOUSTON (Ticker) -- D.J. Augustin and Texas accomplished a feat that had not been done in 26 years.
Augustin scored 10 of his 18 points in the first half as the fifth-ranked Longhorns crushed Rice, 80-54, on Saturday.
A.J. Abrams and Damion James also had 18 points for Texas (9-0), which has won nine in a row to start a season for the first time since 1981-82 when that team began 14-0.
James, a sophomore, also hauled in a career-high 17 rebounds.
"That's one of my strengths, I can rebound the ball," James said. "I've just got good instincts. I love rebounding man, so that's all I can say."
In the first half, Augustin, who connected on 5-of-12 from the floor, drilled a 3-pointer at the 14:03 mark to give the Longhorns a 17-6 lead. Later in the first, his fourth basket of the half with 9:23 left made it 30-10 with 9:23 left.
"At the start of the game, we came out a little bit passive," Rice's Rodney Foster said. "Against a team as good as Texas is, when you come out passive it's going to be tough."
Augustin, another sophomore who came into the game averaging a team-high 19.1 points, had a season-high 29 in an 88-72 win over North Texas on Wednesday.
The Longhorns, who shot 47 percent (29-of-62) and led at the half, 47-29, are outscoring their opponents by an average margin of 23.9 points.
"We'd dug ourselves such a deep hole that we expended so much energy trying to come back," Rice forward Patrick Britton said. "They had a run and we were already down by 10 points so add 15 points on to that and soon it's back to 20-25."
Foster scored 13 points and Britton had 11 for the Owls (2-6), who shot just 37 percent (23-of-63) and have lost 10 of their last 11 meetings with the Longhorns.
- AT TOYOTA CENTER
NCAA BB FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
TEXAS (5) 47 33 80
RICE 29 25 54 FINAL
Dec 8 9:57 PM
- AT TOYOTA CENTER
NCAA BB (5) TEXAS 47
RICE 29 HALFTIME
Dec 8 8:51 PM
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Monmouth basketball coach King Rice has new 5-year contract Feb 26
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6
- Texas Western celebrating historic title 50 years later Feb 4
- Texas says no evidence of academic misconduct Jan 13