Collins leads balanced attack as Miami moves to 11-0Dec 21, 2007 - 5:09 AM CORAL GABLES, Florida (Ticker) -- Dwayne Collins had 13 points and 11 rebounds and Jack McClinton scored 13 to help No. 22 Miami post an 85-63 victory over in-state foe North Florida on Thursday night.
Brian Asbury, James Dews and Lance Hurdle all chipped in 11 points for the Hurricanes, who used another stellar shooting performance to remained undefeated at 11-0.
After being ranked for the first time in five seasons, Miami celebrated by connecting on 55 percent of its shots during Monday's blowout victory over Stetson.
The red-hot Hurricanes, who are just three wins shy their best start since the 2001-02 season, continued that trend in this one.
Asbury hit a 3-pointer and McClinton converted a three-point play as the Hurricanes grabbed a 27-15 lead with 8:07 remaining in the first half.
"We had that one little stretch where the game got away from us (in the first half)," North Florida coach Matt Kilcullen said. "Miami is good. They are very physical and put a lot of pressure on us."
Miami shot a blistering 59 percent (13-of-22) in the first half for an impressive 46-23 advantage at intermission. Hurdle and Asbury combined for 18 points in the opening 20 minutes.
The Hurricanes finished 47 percent (26-of-55) overall and made 10 3-pointers.
North Florida (1-9) was never able to challenge over the final 20 minutes, falling to 0-3 when facing a ranked opponent since becoming a Division I program in 2005.
Cortez Riley had 14 points and Tom Hammonds added 13 for the Ospreys, who shot just 40 percent (21-of-46) and committed 17 turnovers.
"We came out after halftime, and our goal was to win the second half," said Kilcullen, whose team held a 40-39 edge after the break. "For the most part, our guys battled."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NORTH FLORIDA 23 40 63
MIAMI FL (22) 46 39 85 FINAL
Dec 20 9:28 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTH FLORIDA 23
(22) MIAMI FL 46 HALFTIME
Dec 20 8:22 PM
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Fast-paced game expected in Miami, Buffalo matchup Mar 16
- Larranaga hopes Miami can recapture George Mason's magic Mar 8
- Larranaga optimistic No. 7 Hurricanes will finish strong Feb 29
- Miami's Newton suspended 3 games for violating team rules Feb 27
- No. 11 Hurricanes to face 4 ranked teams in 12 days Feb 18
- 7-foot Tonye Jekiri a big reason for Hurricanes' success Feb 11