Low, Washington State remain unbeatenDec 23, 2007 - 10:59 PM POCATELLO, Idaho (Ticker) -- Derrick Low and No. 6 Washington State were deadly accurate from the arc in making quick work of Idaho State.
Derrick Low scored 20 points - including five 3-pointers - as the Cougars coasted to a 75-45 victory over the Bengals on Sunday.
Kyle Weaver added 18 points and seven rebounds for Washington State (11-0), which shot 50 percent (8-of-16) from the arc, is off to its best start in 16 years.
The Cougars, who boast a starting five consisting of all upperclassman, are off to their best start since opening the season 12-0 in 1991-92.
Washington State (11-0) opened the game on a 15-5 run and led, 34-20, after 20 minutes. Low, who hit three 3-pointers during the run, scored 16 points in the first half to help the Cougars remain unbeaten.
Once again the Cougars relied on their stingy defense as they held the Bengals to just 38 percent (17-of-44) from the floor. Entering the game Washington State had been allowing just 51.7 points in its first 11 games.
That trend continued in this one as Idaho State shot just 33 percent (7-of-21) in the first half and missed six of its first seven field-goal attempts of the second half.
Washington State took advantage of the cold shooting.
Weaver scored seven points during a 10-0 run that helped Washington to a 44-20 bulge with 16:58 remaining, and the lead grew to 32 when Caleb Forrest hit a jumper that made it 74-42 with 2:24 left.
Matt Stucki scored 10 points for Idaho State (2-8), which has lost three straight loss.
- 3 Washington State players declare for NBA draft Apr 15
- Que Johnson decides to leave Washington St basketball team Apr 12
- Washington cruises past Division II Golden Eagles 74-57 Nov 25
- Washington State Cougars reject last place prediction Oct 28
- Washington St Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Utah battles past Washington State Mar 6
- Utes tangle with Cougars in Pac-12 tilt Mar 5
- Arizona routs Washington State Feb 15
- Wildcats collide with Cougars in Pac-12 affair Feb 15
- Utah rebounds with 22-point win over WSU Jan 22
- Pac-12 clash pits Cougars against Utes Jan 21
- No. 9 Gonzaga thumps Washington State Dec 11