Simpson, Saint Mary's blast Loyola MarymountJan 22, 2008 - 7:46 AM MORAGA, California (Ticker) -- Diamon Simpson scored 21 points and Omar Samhan had 19 and 10 rebounds as No. 24 Saint Mary's posted a convincing 87-55 victory over Loyola Marymount in a West Coast Conference matchup on Monday.
Freshmen Patrick Mills poured in 11 points for the Gaels, who jumped to a 40-26 advantage in the first half behind a blistering 56 percent (17-of-30) shooting from the field.
The 6-11 Samhan was huge in the paint despite picking up two early fouls through the first six minutes, helping Saint Mary's hold a 42-27 edge on the glass.
Saint Mary's (16-2, 3-0 WCC) continued to increase its lead after the break as Simpson scored eight points during a 19-0 run to open the second half for a 59-30 bulge at the 14:09 mark.
Simpson, who connected on 7-of-8 shots, not only played stellar on offense but also came up big on the defensive end with three blocks and three steals.
The Gaels have dominated the Lions (4-16, 1-3) over the last few seasons, winning three straight meetings and six of the past eight overall.
Saint Mary's scored 29 points off 19 turnovers by Loyola Marymount, which has dropped five consecutive games away from home.
Quentin Turner scored 14 points and Orlando Johnson chipped in 11 for Loyola Marymount, which shot just 37 percent (20-of-53) en route to its ninth setback in 10 games.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
LOYOLA MARYMNT 26 29 55
SAINT MARYS CA (24) 40 47 87 FINAL
Jan 21 11:58 PM
- NCAA BB
LOYOLA MARYMNT 26
(24) SAINT MARYS CA 40 HALFTIME
Jan 21 10:50 PM
- Gonzaga comes alive late to top Saint Mary's Feb 22
- Zags seek multiple milestones in WCC showdown with Gaels Feb 21
- No. 3 Gonzaga blows past Loyola Marymount Feb 13
- Lions face tall task in clash with third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 12
- No. 3 Gonzaga pulls away to rout St. Mary's Jan 23
- Gaels and Zags square off in pivotal WCC clash Jan 22
- Balanced Zags beat LMU Jan 18
- First vs. worst in the WCC, as Zags visit Lions Jan 17
- Wichita State has no problem with Loyola Marymount Dec 23
- Lions and Shockers meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 22
- Harrison guides St. John's past St. Mary's Dec 20
- Gaels come calling on 20th-ranked Red Storm Dec 19