Howard, Campbell lead Butler past Loyola-ChicagoJan 25, 2008 - 4:59 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Butler's frontcourt and first-half run proved to be too much for Loyola-Chicago.
Freshman Matt Howard had 15 points and 10 rebounds and Pete Campbell scored 15 off the bench as the 14th-ranked Bulldogs posted a 63-50 victory over the Ramblers in Horizon League action on Thursday.
Mike Green chipped in 13 points for the Bulldogs, who matched the best 20-game start in school history set by last season's team.
On an off-shooting night for most of Butler's players, the forwards Howard and Campbell combined to make 11-of-18 shots. The rest of the Bulldogs were 10-of-28, including second-leading scorer A.J. Graves' 2-of-11 performance from the floor.
It was the third double-double of the season for Howard and the fourth straight game of at least 15 points for Campbell, who had averaged just 5.5 per game over his previous six.
Butler (18-2, 7-2 Horizon) opened up a close game early and kept a comfortable distance between itself and Loyola-Chicago for the majority of the contest.
Leading by one point midway through the first half, Butler went on a 15-2 run - keyed by a four-point play from Green - to take a 28-14 lead with 6:24 to play in the half.
The Bulldogs continued to lead by double digits for the rest of the half until J.R. Blount cut the Ramblers' deficit to 32-23 at intermission.
However, Loyola-Chicago (6-13, 2-7) could only get as close as seven during the second half after a three-point play from Blount cut the deficit to 48-41 with 8:16 remaining.
The Bulldogs then answered as Drew Streicher drilled a 3-pointer and, after Campbell's layup, they led, 56-43, with 3:25 left and maintained the double-digit advantage the rest of the way.
It was the eighth straight home win for the Bulldogs, who have won 18 of the last 19 home meetings with the Ramblers overall.
Blount had a game-high 16 points and Andy Polka added 13 and 10 rebounds for Loyola-Chicago, which shot 40 percent (19-of-48) from the field.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
LOYOLA CHI 23 27 50
BUTLER (14) 32 31 63 FINAL
Jan 24 8:52 PM
- NCAA BB
LOYOLA CHI 23
(14) BUTLER 32 HALFTIME
Jan 24 7:46 PM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9
- Loyola-Chicago beats ULM for CBI title Apr 1
- Ramblers seek CBI crown in showdown with Warhawks Apr 1