No. 14 Baylor beats Texas Tech 69-60Mar 4, 2010 - 4:06 PM By BETSY BLANEY Associated Press Writer
LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) -- Brittney Griner scored 21 points before getting ejected from the game to lead No. 14 Baylor past Texas Tech 69-60 on Wednesday night.
Officials tossed the freshman with 9:01 remaining after she punched Texas Tech sophomore forward Jordan Barncastle in the face.
Griner likely faces additional discipline from Baylor and the Big 12, and Baylor coach Kim Mulkey said she will also deal with Griner.
"There's no place for that in sports," Mulkey said. "It was ugly for women's basketball. It was ugly that coaches were on the court, that benches cleared, and I will take care of that with my team."
Baylor was up 55-39 when Barncastle fouled Griner while guarding her under the Lady Bears basket. As the Tech player was moving away and untangling her arm from Griner, the Baylor standout swung and landed a punch with her right hand on Barncastle's face.
Texas Tech coach Kristy Curry said Barncastle has an appointment in the morning to determine the extent of her injury.
"We're all in shock right now," she said. "It's very unfortunate. It's very sad. My only concern is Jordan Barncastle."
Barncastle was not made available to the media following the game.
She, Curry and several other Lady Raiders gathered in the arena's broadcast room after Curry finished with reporters' questions to view the incident. The replay showed Griner taking a roundhouse swing at Barncastle's face a few seconds after officials called her for a foul on Griner.
Tech (17-12, 5-10 Big 12) trailed 51-31 with 11:19 remaining but used a 14-5 run after the punch to pull within 60-55 with 3:01 left. Baylor hit 8 of 12 free throws down the stretch to seal the win, the fifth straight for the Lady Bears (22-7, 8-6).
Jordan Murphree scored 16 points to lead Texas Tech, which was outrebounded 42-26.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
BAYLOR (14) 69
TEXAS TECH 60 FINAL
Mar 3 10:09 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
BAYLOR (14) 29
TEXAS TECH 21 HALFTIME
Mar 3 8:50 PM
- Baylor women want to finish 2017 at Final Four in Dallas Mar 29
- Oregon St to women's Final Four after 60-57 win over Baylor Mar 29
- Oregon St.-Baylor Preview Mar 27
- Elite Eight not enough for Baylor women vs Oregon State Mar 27
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Baylor women to 8th straight Sweet 16, beat Auburn 84-52 Mar 20
- Auburn-Baylor Preview Mar 19
- Baylor women have old score to settle at home vs. Auburn Mar 19
- Top-seeded Baylor women roll 89-59 over Idaho to NCAA opener Mar 18
- Idaho-Baylor Preview Mar 17