Notre Dame rolls over ProvidenceFeb 15, 2012 - 2:32 AM South Bend, IN (Sports Network) - Skylar Diggins and Devereaux Peters scored 19 points apiece to lead fourth-ranked Notre Dame past Providence, 66-47, at Purcell Pavilion.
Peters added a game-high 11 rebounds and Diggins dished out seven assists as Notre Dame (25-2, 12-1 Big East) rebounded from having its 21-game win streak snapped on Sunday, when the Fighting Irish suffered a last-second, 65-63, defeat at the hands of West Virginia. It was their first loss since November 20.
Rachel Barnes paced Providence (13-13, 5-8) with 16 points and eight boards, while Symone Roberts added 12 points in the Lady Friars' fourth loss in five games.
Providence kept it a one-possession game and held the lead twice over the first 10 minutes of the first half, but a 14-2 run by the Irish put them ahead, 35-22, with less than four minutes remaining and they held a 37-27 advantage at the break.
Providence closed the gap to five early in the second half when they opened the frame with a Teya Wright jumper followed by a Lola Wells three-pointer. But Notre Dame responded with an 18-6 run to jump ahead, 55-38, and then cruised to the finish.
- PROVIDENCE: 47
NOTRE DAME: 66
Feb 14 8:50 PM
- PROVIDENCE: 27
NOTRE DAME: 37
Feb 14 7:46 PM
- PROVIDENCE: 0
NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 14 7:05 PM
- Providence hires St. Bonaventure's Crowley as women's coach May 10
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Top-seed Notre Dame beats 16-seed North Carolina A&T 95-61 Mar 19
- NC A&T-Notre Dame Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame wins 3rd straight ACC Tournament title Mar 6