Connecticut stifles Kansas State on way to Sweet 16Mar 20, 2012 - 1:44 AM Bridgeport, CT (Sports Network) - Bria Hartley scored a game-high 16 points as the top-seeded Connecticut Huskies completely dominated the eighth-seeded Kansas State Wildcats to earn a 72-26 victory in the second round of the 2012 NCAA Women's Tournament at Webster Bank Arena.
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis chipped in 15 points for UConn (31-4), while Kiah Stokes scored 13 points and grabbed nine rebounds. Tiffany Hayes added 11 points and also pulled down nine rebounds for the Huskies, who advanced to the Sweet 16 for 19th straight season.
Brittany Chambers paced Kansas State (20-14) with 11 points. The Wildcats' scoring output of 26 points set a new NCAA Tournament low.
UConn took a 38-10 lead into the intermission after it held the Wildcats to just three points in the opening 11 minutes and 53 seconds.
Kansas State shot just 23.1 percent from the field after the break, while the Huskies extended their lead with 48.1 percent shooting from the floor in the final 20 minutes.
The Wildcats made only 17.5 percent of their field goal attempts in the contest.
The Huskies will face the winner of Tuesday's second round match up between LSU and Penn State.
- KANSAS STATE: 26
Mar 19 8:52 PM
- KANSAS STATE: 10
Mar 19 7:55 PM
- KANSAS STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 7:07 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2