North Carolina puts seven in double figures in opening routNov 10, 2007 - 4:45 AM CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina (Ticker) -- Rashanda McCants scored 17 points to lead seven players in double figures as No. 7 North Carolina breezed to a 109-32 rout of cross-town foe North Carolina Central.
Center DeGraffenreid had 16 points and Alex Miller 15 for the Tar Heels (1-0), who led 56-16 at halftime behind 56.8 percent shooting from the field (21-for-37).
Heather Claytor and Iman McFarland each had 13 points, LaToya Pringle added 12 and Rebecca Gray had 11 for North Carolina. McCants also had four steals
It was the first Division I game for the Eagles (0-1), coming off a school-best 26-6 season.
N.C. Central will play this year as an independent before joining the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference in 2008-09. The Eagles shot 19 percent (12-of-64) from the field and committed 30 turnovers.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NC CENTRAL 16 16 32
NORTH CAROLINA (7) 56 53 109 FINAL
Nov 9 11:06 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
NC CENTRAL 16
(7) NORTH CAROLINA 56 HALFTIME
Nov 9 9:28 PM
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- Hatchell to sit 2 games for referee contact, NCAA violation Jan 29
- No. 21 Miami women beat UNC 76-61 for Katie Meier's 200th Jan 17
- Ogunbowale scores 16, No. 3 Notre Dame beats UNC 88-54 Jan 10
- No. 15 Northwestern women defeat North Carolina 85-72 Dec 2
- Gardner-Webb shocks No. 22 North Carolina women 66-65 Nov 13
- Late layup lifts South Carolina over Heels Mar 28
- UNC advances past Buckeyes on buzzer beater Mar 23
- Tar Heels get past Liberty on their home floor Mar 21
- UNC's Hatchell resumes coaching duties May 5