McCants powers North Carolina past SyracuseNov 19, 2007 - 12:59 AM CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina (Ticker) -- Rashanda McCants had career highs of 27 points and 14 rebounds on Sunday to lead No. 6 North Carolina to a 97-72 victory over Syracuse.
McCants, who led five players in double figures, scored 20 points in the first half as the Tar Heels (5-0) led by 25 at the break. McCants went 7-for-15 from the field, including four 3-pointers, and 9-for-13 at the free throw line.
Erlana Larkins added 15 points and LaToya Pringle 11 for North Carolina. Heather Claytor and Jessica Breland each had 10 for the Tar Heels.
North Carolina made only 15-of-40 shots from the field in the second half, but used a 30-19 rebounding advantage to hold off the Orange (1-1). Syracuse's Fantasia Goodwin and Vionca Murray each fouled out of the game, which featured 52 fouls.
Erica Morrow had 17 points, Vaida Sipaviciute 12 and Chandrea Jones 10 for the Orange. Syracuse never got closer than 23 points in the second half. The Tar Heels pulled away to lead by as many as 35 before missing their last eight shots.
- PRESEASON WNIC
NCAA WOMENS BB PRESEASON WNIC
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SYRACUSE 29 43 72
NORTH CAROLINA (6) 54 43 97 FINAL
Nov 18 4:18 PM
- PRESEASON WNIC
NCAA WOMENS BB SYRACUSE 29
(6) NORTH CAROLINA 54 HALFTIME
Nov 18 3:04 PM
- Wagner guard Jasmine Nwajei transferring to Syracuse May 17
- Syracuse defense cracks under UConn onslaught in title game Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Syracuse hoping for big payoff from run to championship game Apr 4
- Syracuse women beat Washington 80-59, reach NCAA title game Apr 4
- Washington-Syracuse Preview Apr 2
- Huskies, Orange try to keep changes under wraps for rematch Apr 2
- Syracuse women reach new heights under Coach Q Mar 31
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26