McCants, No. 3 UNC hold off Georgia TechFeb 10, 2008 - 8:08 PM ATLANTA (Ticker) -- Rashanda McCants and North Carolina had to work to extend their winning streak.
McCants scored 19 points Sunday afternoon to lead the third-ranked Tar Heels to a 75-61 triumph over Georgia Tech in Atlantic Coast Conference action.
It was the fifth straight victory for North Carolina (22-2, 9-0 ACC), which has won by double digits in each contest since dropping an 82-71 decision at top-ranked Connecticut on January 21.
But the latest win did not come easily for the Tar Heels, who committed 27 turnovers and entered the break with a slim 42-38 advantage.
McCants committed nine turnovers but also finished with six rebounds, five assists and two steals.
Erlana Larkins collected 18 points and 14 rebounds while LaToya Pringle chipped in 12 points and 10 boards for UNC, which enjoyed a 38-25 edge on the glass.
Janie Mitchell scored 22 points to pace Georgia Tech (18-6, 5-5), which shot just 36 percent (21-of-59) from the floor.
- No. 7 Louisville women beat Georgia Tech 60-50 in ACC Mar 4
- Georgia Tech women edge Wake Forest 67-65 in ACC Mar 3
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- No. 19 Miami women hold off Georgia Tech 58-55 Feb 11
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- Hatchell to sit 2 games for referee contact, NCAA violation Jan 29
- Turner, Allen lead No. 3 Notre Dame past Georgia Tech Jan 28
- No. 21 Miami women beat UNC 76-61 for Katie Meier's 200th Jan 17
- No. 19 Florida State women hold on against Georgia Tech Jan 10
- Ogunbowale scores 16, No. 3 Notre Dame beats UNC 88-54 Jan 10
- Cable leads No. 3 Notre Dame for McGraw's at 799th win Dec 30